Juno 6 Repair or ??

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Matenc01
Gear: Juno 106, Juno 6, MS-20 Mini,Minibrute, CS-10, MAB-303, DR55, DR110, TR626, Volca Beats,Volca Sample, SQ-1
Band: Dogme95

Juno 6 Repair or ??

Post by Matenc01 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:26 pm

First off to make a long story short I found a Juno 6 with original flight case sitting in a thrift store here in Japan for a bit under 500$. The cosmetic condition is near perfect, not a scratch to be seen. After getting it home I noticed the envelope has no effect on only one of the voices (being the first). This seems to be a common enough problem to be asked about on here but decently hard to find a follow up or solution. After a decent amount of reading I believe the problem seems to be the IR3R01 envelope chip (or at least this is the worst possible scenario).

Now I am relatively new to playing around with synths. I would say I have played around with them for only about 5 years or so; so my knowledge is limited and in teams of repair near non-existent.

So here are the choices that I'm thinking about:
1) Ideally I would love to be able to walk this thing into a repair shop but I live in Japan and it seems like the repairs section of VSE has a major lack of places in Japan (If I find a solid one I will add it to the list). Also the cost; I know the IR3R01 is quite rare these days but i'm curious about how much they run for? Also how much would be a fair price to get someone to repair it?
2)Fortunately the place I got it has a return policy on items sold as working as opposed to junk and this thing was sold as working so I could always lug this on the train and take it back in the next 6 months. Then on the other hand less than 500$ for a Juno 6 with case seems like a heck of a deal and as long as repairs aren't to expensive.

So i'm curious what would you do in this situation as i'm sure some of you have been in a similar place! Open to any suggestions apart from giving it away. Also if there is anyone that has done the repair themselves could you let me know how difficult of a job this is, I don't think I would risk damaging anything on this one but I would love to start learning about repairs and maintenance. Call it curiosity. Thanks gang!
Last edited by Matenc01 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dstrength

Re: Juno 6 Repair or ??

Post by dstrength » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:37 pm

Ko Okatake is a well known analog synth tech in Japan. Also, you can ask over on the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagesynthrepair/ There's several guys from Japan on there.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:59 am

I'd return it. You should be able to find a fully working one for not much more than that. I supplied IR3R01s for many years but my supply has dried up and I don't know of anyone else that has them. You'd also have to pay a tech to de-solder the old chip and install the new one.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Matenc01
Gear: Juno 106, Juno 6, MS-20 Mini,Minibrute, CS-10, MAB-303, DR55, DR110, TR626, Volca Beats,Volca Sample, SQ-1
Band: Dogme95

Post by Matenc01 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks for the info!

So I contacted Ko Okatake explaining the replacement of the chip and everything it should come to about 130$ for the chip replacement, shipping, and part. He also mentioned doing a full restoration on any potentially faulty parts for right around 270$ for everything. These prices seems more than reasonable for the services.

right around 700$ for a fully serviced and cosmetically perfect juno 6; is this worth the money? I checked out some prices on ebay but fail to see anything lower or even close to the price. Also on Ko Okatake's website it says he sells them fully restored for right around 900$ including shipping from Japan to anywhere

opinions once more? If its not in a decent price range please tell me at what range I should be looking.

Also thanks for the responses guys, appreciate all feedback

m_P

Post by m_P » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:02 pm

If you're gonna get it all restored, I'd also consider the Juno 66 mod.. It's awesome to have portamento/midi control/detune and unison on that synth. Turns it into a better machine without compromising the original features.

As far as I'm aware the 6's don't suffer from the dodgy voice chips so much like the 106 does, and recapping them wouldn't be a huge job (if it needed it)
I had my PSU recapped and it made a difference to noise levels.