SH-101 envelope issue (strange behaviour)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR

SH-101 envelope issue (strange behaviour)

Post by sigment » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:38 pm

So I just picked up a grey sh-101 and it sounds brilliant.

But: so if the VCA switch is set to envelope and you press and hold a note it will attack and release properly, but if you tap a note and let it go, i am getting ultra long release times regardless of where the slider is.

I will investigate more this evening, but as this is my first 101 I want to ask if there are any weird quirks I should know about. I've read many common failings and none seem to cover this behaviour.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Also wrong with it are: dry solder joint on the power input (already fixed)
corrosion on the battery terminals (getting cleaned tonight)
1 dodgy key (cleaned last night, will test when I put it back together tonight)
mod wheel does not work (bend works, just not mod axis)(need to test the pot)

Thanks

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: SH-101 envelope issue (strange behaviour)

Post by pflosi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Subscribing to this. A friend of mine has one with a long release (regardless of fader setting and gate length). I was assuming that it's just a bad slider so far, but haven't talked to my tech yet...

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:42 pm

just fixed one today...another 4 waiting.

always check and clean the sliders.

power switch always needs replaceing.

the pitch bend back boards break...note wobbly wheel.

that really sums up the faults i find.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS

Post by sigment » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:30 am

Thanks for the info

Well the mod wheel was a cracked bracket, and a dot of super glue got her back on track.

As for the dodgy key, it looks like the rubber contact strip is worn. I rotated it around and now the key under that contact is spotty.

As for the release, a good cleaning did nada, so it looks like I'll be replacing the part. All of the traces look good, and no bulging caps, so I figure that should be the next step... I'll update after it comes in

sigment

Post by sigment » Tue May 03, 2016 2:40 am

Back up and running! I ordered the slider from syntaur on friday, it came it today and I made short work of it. I also replaced the battery terminal ends (the originals had corrosion). I ordered the power switch, but decided to test it first and its acting correctly, so i'll just hang on to it.

But yeah, bad slider on the release. It took a few minutes to get it apart, a couple to get the old slider out (using a solder plunger) and a minute to get the new one back in...

Got it for a steal on ebay, (well at least compared to current prices) and now I'm not sure if I should keep it or flip it now that its in good working order..