MIDI frustration

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

MIDI frustration

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:04 am

I've recently solved many synth and recording issues that had bugged me for a long time. Much of it thanks to the great people on this forum. One last issue is still giving me trouble.

I've been using my Triton as a MIDI controller, and it works great. But IIRC most if not all those wonderful knobs on the V-synth transmit MIDI, so I'd like to start using that as my main controller. But it only sends notes intermittently and notes get stuck, etc.

I played the same riff with the Triton as the controller, then the V-synth. Does anyone know why it's doing this?
You can't synthesize love

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: MIDI frustration

Post by rhino » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Don't have either of these synths, but Roland used to have many problems with their 'running status' MIDI signal.
You may need a filter between master and the controlled synth.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Baus

Post by Baus » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:30 pm

Sorry, the link does not work on either my phone or desktop.

How did you connect the whole thing? Usually 'hanging notes' are a result of a MIDI feedback loop. So notes and midi controllers are being sent, received, sent, received over and over again by the same unit on the same MIDI channel.

Check if this is the case in your setup.

Best of luck,

Robin.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:52 pm

Okay, so here's the setup. I've got my controller connected to my PC with a MIDI to USB cable. I'm running Samplitude Pro X as my DAW. Within that I'm controlling Garritan Personal Orchestra 4. With the Triton, everything works perfectly. I connected the V-synth the same way, and that's when the problems start.

Rhino, what do you mean by a filter between the master and controlled synth? That sounds like it might work for the notes getting stuck, but what about the notes that don't even sound?

Baus, how do I check if I'm getting a feedback loop? And why would this happen with one controller and not the other?

p.s. thanks for the help, guys.

p.p.s. I should probably add that I've also done this with a Yamaha PSR-740. It acts the same way as the V-synth.
You can't synthesize love

Baus

Post by Baus » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:06 am

The simplest way to check if there is a MIDI Feedback loop is to disconnect the MIDI IN plug from the V-Synth.

If you still get the hanging notes you might want to check in the MIDI transmit pages of the Synth. It might be a MIDI thru issue. Check on both the Yamaha and Roland if those are switched ON or OFF. Check in the Korg if it's ON or OFF.

Hope this helps.