Formatting Floppies with Akai s2000

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
zjimenez1

Formatting Floppies with Akai s2000

Post by zjimenez1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:29 am

Hello all! I've been browsing this site for a while reading reviews/posts so I figured I'd see if any you guys could help with this. So, like the title says I'm having trouble formatting floppy disks (which, if it's functional, couldn't be simpler to do) on the s2000. The floppy is in write mode and the sampler can detect when it's not, but when I try to format it, it reads "Formatting High Density 1" for a split second then immediately reads "Drive Not Ready! Disk Removed?"... This is strange because I can load the system disk and a demo disk so the drive can read and stuff. The floppies, I have 10 that I've tried, are in good condition and they were actually still packaged so I don't think it's a case pf them being old or anything. Also, the whole thing is in pretty good condition overall and otherwise functions very well. I know this is probably the most specific question possible to ask but any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Well, thanks guys either way!

JeEA

Re: Formatting Floppies with Akai s2000

Post by JeEA » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 am

I had some issues with an Akai S2800 disk drive.
The head was not able to reach the disk. I put at little pressure
On the head to get it to reach the disk, and that helped
You must be very careful if You do this not to brake anything.
Cheers
Jens

zjimenez1

Post by zjimenez1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks JeEA, I opened it up and held the head down and nothing, but I guess it could be the head is dirty or dusty? But at the same time it reads the system disk and one of the other floppies it came with so maybe not. Getting a Q-tip or something to the head looks a bit tricky, because there's this fitted cover over the drive.

zjimenez1

Post by zjimenez1 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:22 am

To update, it's still not formatting for some reason...

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:27 pm

What about DD disk instead of HD disks?

It should be a no brainer to format the disks.
I wonder what Can be the problem

zjimenez1

Post by zjimenez1 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:02 pm

I'm definitely going to try that. The system disk is hd though and works but it's the one from akai so they could've done some magic to it.

zjimenez1

Post by zjimenez1 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:41 am

Ok, so the DD disks didn't format either. I guess the floppy drive is broken or something. Does anybody know why it would read and load, but not format? Or if there's anything I can check or do internally to it? Or am I just using it wrong? Formatting on this thing is literally just a matter of pressing "format floppy", so there'e gotta be some funky stuff going on. Also thanks JeEA of course and if you got anything else to try I'm ready haha

Werecow

Post by Werecow » Thu May 05, 2016 11:22 pm

Not meaning to impugn your mad ancient disk drive skills or anything, but I have to ask the obvious -- you do have the write protect tab closed on the disks, yes? And have you checked the drive connector to be sure it's completely seated? Generally, if connections are good and it's consistently reading fine but won't write, it either thinks the disks are write-protected, or the drive is just bad. (I've even seen a drive where the pin that senses the tab was broken, so it thought every disk was protected.)

zjimenez1

Post by zjimenez1 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:31 am

Haha yes sir Werecow! I already said but didn't really specify that it can tell when the write tab is closed or open... Which is so weird because it knows the disk is there but won't format it still.