Casio CZ-5000 saturated/distorted output

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Precocyous

Casio CZ-5000 saturated/distorted output

Post by Precocyous » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 am

Hi guys!

I'm new in this forum, and I wanted to ask for a little help with a Casio CZ-5000 that I bought last week. Seems to be in good condition, capacitors seems to be ok (I'm not a tech, but I've got a little knowledge about electronics), resistors and all that stuff, and I really don't know what could be causing the problem.

I plugged the headphones in the respective jack, turned it on, and when I proceed to slide volume knob a little bit and it sounded something like white-background-noise and in my head I said "Ok, dirty slider", but when I hit the first chord, it sounded VERY LOUD, distorted, almost like blowing my headphones... and my ears.

I opened it up and I saw that's not very bad inside, just dust and a pair of little cockroach's, nothing that a little bit of attention can't deal with. I checked the relay, I don't know how it should be but I tried to clean with some paper and I still have the same problem, I tried with external keyboard speaker and still is very loud and like distorted/saturated.

I just want this thing running, maybe It's just a little thing causing this horrible sounding, because as far I know, this synth is very good. I live in a far, far place (Outside US) and near me there aren't any technicians who can deal with synths.

I'm gonna post some pictures to let you see how it looks (Yes, I need a good lamp):

English is not my native language, but i try to do my best :mrgreen:
Hope you could help me. Thanks.
- Charlie.

rsaintjohn
Gear: Roland System 100, 500 & 8. Casio CZ & HT; Moog Sub37 & Minitaur. Korg minilogue. Yamaha MK-100. Ensoniq ESQ-1.
Band: ceeZED

Re: Casio CZ-5000 saturated/distorted output

Post by rsaintjohn » Sun May 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Based one what you are describing, and what is a somewhat common problem with old CZ's, I would look closer at the relay. You may simply need to replace it. That would be my first step to try to isolate the problem.

Do a Google search for cz 5000 omron . These are two links worth checking out:

https://jimatwood.wordpress.com/2011/05 ... f-the-80s/ (scroll way down to the comments for details and pictures)

http://youthvulture.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... ement.html

There is a guy on eBay who sells replacement parts, and I've bought from him before (blue planet media).

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

db0451

Post by db0451 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Yup. In other synths that use transistors for muting instead of relays, a nearly identical symptom can present. Weirdly this is not very widely discussed, yet it's happened to me multiple times, including repeats in the same synths. I guess maybe I was doing something wrong - like plugging cables in/out while the power is on, which might be able to cause harmful shorts in the 'in-between' states. Suffice it to say I've stopped doing that... and bought a lot of spare transistors.

Precocyous

Post by Precocyous » Tue May 03, 2016 12:06 am

Thanks for replying to me. I will assume that I can replace the relay with this same specs:

I'm gonna replace all the relays and pushbuttons. I will tell you if it worked, hope it does :mrgreen:
- Charlie.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue May 03, 2016 8:32 am

Have you checked the slider with. Multimeter to see that it reads all resistances smoothly?