Casio CZ 5000 weird MIDI behavior

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
GOTHICGRAVE

Casio CZ 5000 weird MIDI behavior

Post by GOTHICGRAVE » Mon May 02, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi All, this is my first post here. So please be patient.. :)

I'm having some issues with my dear CZ5000.

When I press the MIDI button (only in norrmal mode), the synth hangs and the display says "A 4" (or any other memory slot)

My first approach with this issue was a button-related problem (common in this kind of synths), but the problem occurs only when I press MIDI on NORMAL mode. In SPLIT, SEQUENCER and MIX I'm able to access to this function.

The second issue is that I'm not able to save presets into internal memory EVEN with new batteries. There is any other battery inside the CZ?

thanks for your help and support.

db0451

Re: Casio CZ 5000 weird MIDI behavior

Post by db0451 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:51 pm

[edit: this was based on me thinking of the CZ-101, clearly not relevant, but for posterity...] Hi. I'm not sure about 1 but interested to see if anyone else knows what the issue is. However, re 2: If you mean you only replaced the batteries exposed on the bottom of the unit, then yes, you need to do more. Those batteries only provide runtime power (replacing the DC adaptor). There is a different, internal coin cell battery for powering the backup RAM, which you will need to replace if this memory has stopped retaining data.
Last edited by db0451 on Mon May 02, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 02, 2016 9:09 pm

The 5000 has built in AC power supply...no adapter!

The D cells are the battery backup (one year rated lifetime).

Does the display indicate the patches are saved but after powering down they are gone?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon May 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Is the memory protect switch on?

db0451

Post by db0451 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:15 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The 5000 has built in AC power supply...no adapter!

Ah, my bad - many thanks for the correction to my (now useless!) post. I got my model #s mixed up and must've thought this was the CZ-101. Note to self: always Google to confirm vague memories. :)

GOTHICGRAVE

Post by GOTHICGRAVE » Tue May 03, 2016 1:29 am

meatballfulton wrote:The 5000 has built in AC power supply...no adapter!

Does the display indicate the patches are saved but after powering down they are gone?
Thanks all of you for your answers.

Yes, patches are saved (and also sequencer data). New batteries. I turn off my CZ, wait 1 minute aprox, Turn on again and the patches and sequencer data are still there. Turn off, wait a couple of hours, turn on again and I missed all the data.

Do you know if, besides the batteries, there is any other component involved in the saving process?

Thanks again!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue May 03, 2016 8:31 am

Try cleaning the battery contacts in the compartment. Failing that, get the service manual and diagnose the battery backup circuit. So, you can actually save, it just doesn't hold them in memory?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue May 03, 2016 1:19 pm

I agree it sounds like a problem with the backup circuit. Start with the contacts in the compartment, then open it up and check the wires leading from the contacts (check with a voltmeter).

Download the service manual here if you don't have a copy.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

db0451

Post by db0451 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:29 pm

It could also possibly be related to some supporting component in that circuit, like a diode or such.

For the sake of completeness, I'll also mention I had an issue once where my TX81Z kept losing its memory, for no apparent reason... till I realised the arrangement of my hastily rigged battery-holder meant the battery was touching the metal lid :o Much embarrassment resulted, and a piece of insulating tape fixed the problem.

GOTHICGRAVE

Post by GOTHICGRAVE » Tue May 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks all for your responses... yes, seems to be an issue with the backup circuit. I'll open my old dynosaur and see what's inside. I'll keep you posted! Thanks!