Emu Emax power failure

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Dasdabeatjunkie

Emu Emax power failure

Post by Dasdabeatjunkie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:50 pm

Hello everyone, I joined this site hoping to get some help with an Emu Emax SE my father handed off to me recently. It was purchased by him in 87/88. (I was born in 88) and has been sitting in storage until recently. For the first couple weeks I've had it it was working fine. No issues at all. Until one day I powered it in for a second time in the same day and no power. I'm hoping a new fuse would work but I'm thinking it could also be the power supply. Now what If like to know is if it is my power supply. What kind of power supply do I need to replace it? And is it possible to find a new one somewhere? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Emu Emax power failure

Post by garranimal » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:16 am

Fuses do have a shelf life, replacing it may help with no other trouble. If a new one blows again then there would be trouble somewhere. I'm not familiar with the Emax but the power supply should be serviceable, no need to replace the whole thing. A good tech should be able to put it back in working order.

micahjonhughes

Re: Emu Emax power failure

Post by micahjonhughes » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Really I'm just repeating what has already been said, but here goes. It is relatively easy to rebuild a power supply by replacing the components that are most likely to wear out/die. Any local tech could do it. I doubt that you will find a power supply for the Emax, and if you do, it will be just as old as the one you have and likely need to be repaired anyways. If there is not someone available locally, you can probably remove just the power supply and ship it somewhere for repair. I would not suggest shipping an Emax.

I had this sampler before, it is one of the few pieces of gear I regret selling. Such a dinosaur, but a real musical instrument.

There is a youtube video on the Emax power supply you can find by searching.

Micah