Page 1 of 1

DX7 Cartridge. Where is the battery???

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:58 am
by philip
Hi

Wanted to change battery in my dx7 symphony card, opened it, and - where's the battery? Image

Re: DX7 Cartridge. Where is the battery???

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:08 am
by rhino
None. memory chips are EEPROM's. Save the data without external power. Slower than static RAM, but plenty fast enough for synth patch data. Same basic carts used by Ensoniq.

Re: DX7 Cartridge. Where is the battery???

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:24 pm
by philip
rhino wrote:None. memory chips are EEPROM's. Save the data without external power. Slower than static RAM, but plenty fast enough for synth patch data. Same basic carts used by Ensoniq.
So, now it's not working. Patches are storing with mistakes and strange names, and sounding weird. Any chance to fix it?

Re: DX7 Cartridge. Where is the battery???

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:26 pm
by Yekuku
Do other cards work as expected?
You 'd better confirm that the switches are working right, dirty switches can make intermittent contact. You can try cleaning them with a few drops of rubbing alcohol or contacts spray.
Other than that I cant think of any other failure except the eproms. Maybe it could be possible to find another working card and copy the eproms ?

Re: DX7 Cartridge. Where is the battery???

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 pm
by philip
Yekuku wrote:Do other cards work as expected?
You 'd better confirm that the switches are working right, dirty switches can make intermittent contact. You can try cleaning them with a few drops of rubbing alcohol or contacts spray.
Other than that I cant think of any other failure except the eproms. Maybe it could be possible to find another working card and copy the eproms ?
I have a few cartridges like this, all work good, except this one.

Re: DX7 Cartridge. Where is the battery???

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:37 pm
by rhino
The orange blob in the upper left may be a tantallium cap. They go bad. Other than that, a good cleaning of the contacts on the cart and in the synth.

Re: DX7 Cartridge. Where is the battery???

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:57 pm
by philip
rhino wrote:The orange blob in the upper left may be a tantallium cap. They go bad. Other than that, a good cleaning of the contacts on the cart and in the synth.
Thanx Bill!

Re: DX7 Cartridge. Where is the battery???

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:26 pm
by synthRodriguez
I've got one for sale on Reverb if you can't make it go.

Re: DX7 Cartridge. Where is the battery???

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:35 pm
by Jabberwalky
Bill knows what's up. Same as the old NES carts. Alcohol would be my first try.