Roland JX3P edit problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Roland JX3P edit problem

Postby cs5 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi all, Ive recently dug out my old JX3P, everything works EXCEPT when i try to edit (i dont have the PG200 by the way) the sens slide has no effect at all. I opened the synth up and gave it a good once over, cleaned it up inside, cant see anything obviously wrong. Am i doing something when im programming incorrectly ? I cant see that though as it seems pretty easy even tho clunky.
Any ideas ?
ps the sequencer works fine and the brilliance and rate sliders both work fine too.
Thanks for any input :)
cs5

Gear: Moog Etherwave Pro, Moog Theremini, Kees Enkelaar Theremin, Yamaha CS5, Korg Microkorg, Roland JX3P

Re: Roland JX3P edit problem

Postby Cecil Dubreque » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:47 pm

Could be that the potentiometer / slider is broken. Do you have a multi-meter to test it?
Cecil Dubreque

Postby cs5 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi Cecil, thanks for the reply, unfortunately no, I dont even know what a potentiometer looks like. Are they easy to replace ? or is it a solder job ?
sorry for my lack of proper electrical knowledge. When i opened the synth up i was really looking for an obvious problem like a slider not catching ?
I bet your right tho
cs5

Gear: Moog Etherwave Pro, Moog Theremini, Kees Enkelaar Theremin, Yamaha CS5, Korg Microkorg, Roland JX3P

Postby fh991586 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:24 pm

If I remember well, the elements can be edited without the slider, by choosing the level (sens) desired using the memory push-buttons. Each button also represents 6.25% of sensibility, so #8 is 50% sens and 16 is 100%. If the parameter is set to a specific notch (like DCO 1), then the first button represents the first option of the knob, #2 is the second option, and so on.

Try this one, which is easy to notice:
-Use the preset "Pulsar" sound (B-14)
-Push the Group B edit button
-Press push-button 10 to change the LFO waveform
-Press either push-button 1, 2 or 3 to change it. Default setting is 3 (Random)
-Press a key to check if it does change the sound.

Please consider reading the manual at pages 18-19 for cleared instructions. Then you should know if the slider works, or if it's the edit function that has gone bad...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-Yamaha DX7
-DSI Mopho

Gear for Sale: Roland M-SE1, M-OC1, M-BD1
fh991586

Gear: Roland Juno 106, JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
TherapSid

Postby cs5 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi FH thanks for your reply, well, i tried your suggestion ( i did think playing with the buttons should change sounds but had no luck) anyway, certain group A sounds DID change using the edit ABCD buttons, not all tho, again in group B hardly any did but a couple. i would have thought there would be all or nothing ?
confused as heck now. So could the edit function be fried ? or would it not enable me to change any of those sounds ?
so close yet so far with this :roll:
cs5

Postby fh991586 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm

Did you really try the Pulsar preset modification? I don't understand what you have done.

You should bring it to a qualified technician then, because I can't understand how you could change some parts and not others. Unless you can borrow a PG-200 from someone!
-Roland TR707
-Yamaha DX7
-DSI Mopho

fh991586

Yamaha Motif Rack.
TherapSid

Postby cs5 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:28 pm

I did FH, like i said, i found it very strange it changed certain parameters but not all, no sweeps or anything. somethings working, somethings not working. makes no sense to me. I might open it up again and take another look but its deffo looking like an experienced tech may have to look at it for me, thanks for your help dudes :)
cs5

Postby rhino » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:07 pm

Just throwing this out as a off-the-wall chance:
Got in a JX3p having had an admittedly hard life. When I got sound out of it at last, it had many crazy problems still.
Found the panel board had several broken traces around the screws that hold it to the metal front panel. IIRC I had to jumper nine cracked traces. I passed it off as just the result of rough treatment, but maybe it is a design flaw in the JX3p.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby fh991586 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:58 am

Yep, this is not uncommon with this model, afaik.
-Roland TR707
-Yamaha DX7
-DSI Mopho

fh991586

Yamaha Motif Rack.
TherapSid

Postby cs5 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:31 pm

thanks Rhino, well when i unscrewed the panel board with the sliders on the screws did take out a slight bit of plastic. The synth has definitely been opened up before too. Probably wont get to open it up til the weekend at the earliest but i will take a look at all avenues suggested again and let you know how i got on,
thanks again for the help everyone, appreciate it a lot :)
cs5

Return to HELP!