SoundDiver & a TG33

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Smoking_Gnu

SoundDiver & a TG33

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:21 pm

Hi all, recently purchased a TG33 and am interested in digging in a bit deeper with it. I've heard Sounddiver is a useful editor, both in general and for using the TG33's hidden parameters (also, MidiQuest is a bit difficult to use for patch editing.) I've found copies on ebay of Sounddiver 3.05a for Windows. If I buy that:

1. Will I need to run it in some manner of compatibility mode on Windows 10?
2. Does it come with TG33 editor functionality already, or do I need to download a separate module somewhere as you would with the instrument editors for midiquest?

Finally, and I know this is a huge shot in the dark - But apparently an SD user made a TG33 editor that can better edit the vectors and hidden parameters: http://web.archive.org/web/200809291323 ... tg33b.html
However, all links to this are dead. Does anyone here have a copy of that that they could send my way? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: SoundDiver & a TG33

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Yeah, software for the early SY/TG series seems to be hard to come by. I do have an editor that allows access to all the hidden parameters, but I can't for the life of me remember where I downloaded it; I'll dig it up when I get home from work. No idea if it'll run on Windows 10 or not.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Back when those synths were new, you either bought a commercial editor like SoundDiver, Galaxy or MidiQuest or depended on shareware/freeware editors. Mfrs didn't provide editors like they do today.

For synths that are 25 years old, the share/freeware was written for computers of the day: Amiga, Atari ST, early Mac, even DOS! Never mind that the sites where you could dl the editors from are all long gone.

That archived link is from a website run by a guy who called himself Sealed. His site vanished a few years ago along with all the associated files, including SoundDiver files for quite a few instruments.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Smoking_Gnu

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:27 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Yeah, software for the early SY/TG series seems to be hard to come by. I do have an editor that allows access to all the hidden parameters, but I can't for the life of me remember where I downloaded it; I'll dig it up when I get home from work. No idea if it'll run on Windows 10 or not.
Thanks!
meatballfulton wrote:Back when those synths were new, you either bought a commercial editor like SoundDiver, Galaxy or MidiQuest or depended on shareware/freeware editors. Mfrs didn't provide editors like they do today.

For synths that are 25 years old, the share/freeware was written for computers of the day: Amiga, Atari ST, early Mac, even DOS! Never mind that the sites where you could dl the editors from are all long gone.

That archived link is from a website run by a guy who called himself Sealed. His site vanished a few years ago along with all the associated files, including SoundDiver files for quite a few instruments.
Yeah, I ran into quite a few other forum posts lamenting his apparent disappearance. I actually messed around with one of the Amiga editors (totally blanking on the name atm), but everything I read indicated that SoundDiver was the most reliable of the bunch still available. To clarify on my first post, Sealed's TG33 editor was a modification of the one already available in SoundDiver, which I'm guessing is what put it in such high demand. Probably getting SoundDiver either way since it looks so useful.

Baus

Post by Baus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Please be aware that Sounddiver is no longer a commercial product and probably the versions that are being offered on ebay are just copies of well.... you know.

I contacted a seller on ebay about it. He offered CD-ROM copies of Sounddiver. It was also possible to not pay shipping and take the download version. This to me was clear: if you offer a download version of a CD-ROM copy of software I know what time it is (as we say in Dutch).

Sounddiver works perfectly on my Windows XP though. You will have to try it out on your windows version and see if it works.

You could always PM people and ask for more information.

Good luck,

Robin.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:19 am

commodorejohn wrote:Yeah, software for the early SY/TG series seems to be hard to come by. I do have an editor that allows access to all the hidden parameters, but I can't for the life of me remember where I downloaded it; I'll dig it up when I get home from work. No idea if it'll run on Windows 10 or not.
Okay, it was plompy's SY Edit program that I've been using. His site is gone now, but fortunately archive.org has a copy of the most recent version of the program at: https://web.archive.org/web/20130728112 ... y_edit.zip

Looks like it supports the TG-33 SysEx format as well. And it's a Win32 program, so I imagine it'll work alright on 10.

Smoking_Gnu

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:25 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
Okay, it was plompy's SY Edit program that I've been using. His site is gone now, but fortunately archive.org has a copy of the most recent version of the program at: https://web.archive.org/web/20130728112 ... y_edit.zip

Looks like it supports the TG-33 SysEx format as well. And it's a Win32 program, so I imagine it'll work alright on 10.
No dice, unfortunately, I get the "This app can't run on your PC" message. :cry: Thanks for finding it, though; I'll do some research to see if there are any compatibility settings I can change.

That said, I finally got Sounddiver to work, though it has an odd habit of playing a note (C2, I think?) every time I make a parameter change within the program.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Hah, I didn't realize it since I run XP at home, but it's one of those Win95-era programs that are 32-bit but come packaged with a 16-bit installer...looks like I can't upload attachments on the forum, but here's a copy of the installed directory. Pulls up fine on my work computer running 64-bit 8.1, so hopefully it should work on 10.

Smoking_Gnu

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:56 pm

That works! Thanks again.

Definitely liking the plompy editor the most - much fewer problems sending and receiving midi than MQ and SD. Granted, that could very easily be user error/inexperience.