Outside sound penetrating 1/4' cables

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Outside sound penetrating 1/4' cables

Post by Electroluver » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 am

I feel that the crying baby that lived next door somehow was picked up on the 1/4' cables and brought into my last song. It's really weird, I feel I can hear this wailing child in the song. Is this possible?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Outside sound penetrating 1/4' cables

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:14 pm

If the family has a baby monitor you could have picked up the RF signal somehow.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:44 pm

meatballfulton wrote:If the family has a baby monitor you could have picked up the RF signal somehow.
:agree:

I've heard of guitar pedals picking up radio stations before. The baby monitor hypothesis sounds extremely plausible! Otherwise, you're probably dealing with some sort of ghost baby that's trying to communicate.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:41 pm

When this happened, were you recording a synth, or something requiring higher gain like a guitar or a condenser mic?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Baby monitor IS plausible. It's been a while, but I can remember picking up radio stations if conditions were just so.

I've heard some bizarre things seemingly layered into tracks this way, doorbells, dog barking, things that I didn't put there and not using any microphones at all. I think in that case it's a combination of gestalt and actual sound artifacts. Artifacts are a product of the process and medium. A lens flare in a camera to me is the perfect example, something that does not exist but the camera makes it so. Sound can mix together the same way, creating additions and cancellations in certain frequencies within our tape machines, digital converters, and even the way stereo sound waves meet in the air.

In Gestalt, basically our mind plays tricks on us and "fills in the gaps" for us. Best example there are all those silly optical illusion things floating around the internet. Only this phenomenon is not just limited to visual stimuli.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:08 am

Audio or it didn't happen :headbang:

In all seriousness though, cables can make great antennas in some circumstances.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Interesting, on a somewhat related note I happened to touch the metal faceplate of my amp with the end of my guitar cable the other day and perfectly picked up some random radio station, was amusing for a bit but glad it wasn't always there! haha

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.

Post by Electroluver » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:57 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Interesting, on a somewhat related note I happened to touch the metal faceplate of my amp with the end of my guitar cable the other day and perfectly picked up some random radio station, was amusing for a bit but glad it wasn't always there! haha
That's crazy. I had a Paia modular that would sometimes pick up a radio station.
I can clearly hear the baby at 4:46 on the song Xact for about 3 seconds --->
https://soundcloud.com/dj-nameless/xact12345
But my new track looks to be an improvement --->
https://soundcloud.com/dj-nameless/synesthesia (No crying babies)

Perhaps it's the shapes in clouds or the things we think we see or hear.
My friend said this was a creepy picture which i took of what looks to be a girl hunched over.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:23 pm

If you keep having a problem with this, a lot of the time it's a single bad cable in your setup somewhere. If you get one with a dodgy shield connection, it can do this. Unfortunately the only way to track it down is to swap out cables. You can try to see if it's isolated to one instrument or effect by turning down stuff on your mixer (assuming you use one) and turning things back up one at a time.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Baus

Post by Baus » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:22 pm

I agree with what's already been said.

That being said.... did you try to reverse your recording to check if any other hidden messages are in there?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:44 pm

+1

Especially look for anything like: "all the nutrients your baby needs," "pediatrician's choice," or "abnormally strong fetus."
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Electroluver » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:33 am

I removed the song from Soundcloud. Thank you.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:18 pm

Synths and transmittable radios are very very similar in design(Going by schematics), not sure about implementation... They both have a source (modulation + a carrier) they use a VFA, a VCA and many of them seem to work like a signal processor in schematics...except there's a whole RF transceiver involved, and the signal is going back into the device... but they are similar.. but I wouldn't think it'd be simple to convert a synth into a radio without either some FCC violations(FCC is there to keep da gubbermintz from being a j**k and from you from being a j**k to everyone after all) or some unpleasant result in the signal chain.

You after after all trying to communicate on another part of the electromagnetic spectrum. .-.

<- Really should go back to learning radios and getting an ARRL cert and callsign. x.x
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.