Roland JX3P troubleshoot should I return this?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Roland JX3P troubleshoot should I return this?

Postby recordbot » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Hey gang,

before I get into this board I just got I figured I would ask some experts who might have more experience than me with this board,

the JX3p will not go into edit mode, it won't edit from the PG200 programmer either, buttons don't stay lit on the PG200

when I go into edit mode from the panel the slider does not effect the value unless I slam it really hard then it will drop the value to 0, I tried cleaning it out with air but no go it's the same,

should I test the slider for fault and replace it or just call this thing a day and return it?

not too familiar with this one so maybe it's just a busted slider or maybe a deeper problem hence the fact that the programmer does not work to change any parameter either

thanks!
recordbot

Re: Roland JX3P troubleshoot should I return this?

Postby Tekhed66 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:01 pm

If you're feeling brave, you could open it up and service the fader properly... the fact that values reset to zero (with a bit of force) suggests either a dirty or damaged fader... blowing air into it won't do very much.

The easiest thing to do would be to spray a cleaner into the fader such as Deoxit 5 fader clean/lube ... Ive used this in the past with my JD800 (50+ faders!!) and it helped a lot but because the faders on my synth were in such bad shape, I decided to de-solder them from the board and disassemble them before cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and re-greasing.

Now the faders are the healthiest they've ever been and the synth works great.

Hopefully the problem is nothing more serious than a dirty contact but if it is, you'll have to get in there and clean it properly.

BTW - the '3P was my first ever synth ... loved it to bits and regret selling it to this day (I sold it about 25 years ago...) It's worth trying to fix it so give it a go.

Good luck
Tekhed66

Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Kurzweil K2000
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Postby recordbot » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:31 pm

thanks for the encouragement, I'll see what I can do, hopefully it's just the dirty or broken fader, I wasn't sure as the programmer is also non responsive

thanks!
recordbot

Postby fh991586 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:24 pm

This might be a stupid question, but are you sure you have the right cable for the PG-200? It's a 6 pin, not a regular midi 5 pin...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-Yamaha DX7
-DSI Mopho

Gear for Sale: Roland M-SE1, M-OC1, M-BD1
fh991586

Gear: Roland Juno 106, JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
TherapSid

Return to HELP!