Light bulb for Yamaha CS aftertouch

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
raycastile

Light bulb for Yamaha CS aftertouch

Post by raycastile » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 am

What model light bulb does the Yamaha CS-60 use to control the aftertouch? I think it is 24 watts and 5 volts. I ordered what I thought were the correct bulbs, but they turned out to be the wrong ones. I could not find the information in the technical manual that is available online. I have Googled for the answer, but I can't find definitive information. Other people have asked this question over the years, but they haven't received definitive responses. Years from now, when someone searching for the same information finds this thread, I hope they see a rock solid answer! Maybe even a link to order the correct bulbs! And then a followup post from me confirming that it worked! Yay!

sneakthief

Re: Light bulb for Yamaha CS aftertouch

Post by sneakthief » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:55 pm

It's 15V according to the schematic:

http://therogoffs.com/cs80/manuals/CS60 ... ematic.jpg

Can you take a picture of the original bulb and also the socket?
sneak-thief: raw electrofunk!
http://sneak-thief.com

raycastile

Post by raycastile » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:28 am

I'm afraid to open the bulb compartment without detailed instructions. It looks like the cover just pulls off, but I'm not yanking it. I have a tech who should be over in the next few days, so I'll let him show me how to change the bulb. It looks like there is also a loose wire connected to the bulb assembly. When you jiggle it, the light goes off and on. I can change a bulb, but I'm not soldering wires in this thing. It took me a lot of time and frustration to get this baby, so I'm not going to risk screwing it up. But I do want to learn to do basic maintenance myself, like tuning and swapping bulbs.

belltones
Gear: Weller soldering iron, Hitachi oscilloscope, little hooked tool I got on Amazon for $1

Post by belltones » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:55 am

I just happened to stumble across this and though it's old, I decided to leave the info here for anyone who ever needs it in the future.

What you need is a T 3 1/4 bulb with a miniature bayonet base, and any voltage between 15 and 24 should be fine. The one I just worked on had a 24V bulb installed but it is being supplied with 15V. (Your bulb rating can be over 15V, but not under.)

A search for "T3 1/4 bulb 24v bayonet" should find you exactly what you need.

As for the little plastic box that fits over it, you can just pull it off.