Oberheim Matrix 6 Display Problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
plexicube

Oberheim Matrix 6 Display Problem

Post by plexicube » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:06 am

My Oberheim Matrix 6 has started to exhibit an odd display problem. Certain characters have an extra display segment, which is not lit on other characters. It is though the segments at 12:00 and 1:00 are now incapable of displaying separately. Thinking this may be a battery issue I replaced the battery with a new clip and battery to no avail. I reseated every IC and hit all the ribbon cables with de-oxit. I don't see any cold solder joints on the display board, but I may not be looking in the right spot. Could this somehow be a power supply issue? One other thing that may be related: when attempting to sequence the Matrix 6 via Cubase, it would occasionally lock up with all voice dots on the display showing and drone a low note until the power was cycled (sometimes a few times).

Musicist and programmator.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Oberheim Matrix 6 Display Problem

Post by garranimal » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Yes, make sure the power supply is putting out the required voltages within spec. Check for ripple with a scope as well. Then check the display board voltages, looks like there are both 9V AC as well as +5V DC incoming.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:47 pm

That's a vacuum fluorescent display and it operates at rather high voltages internally. I'm guessing there is a short somewhere between two driver lines. I'm a bit pessimistic about whether it is fixable, and replacements are hard to find.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

plexicube

Post by plexicube » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:14 pm

The short would be in the display itself, or in the driver chip?
Musicist and programmator.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:56 pm

plexicube wrote:The short would be in the display itself, or in the driver chip?
I think it's more likely to be in the display itself, but it could be either. If you are handy with a scope, and can find a pinout for the driver IC, you could check it.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!