Casio CZ-101 problem: Blinking lights and it doesn't seem to

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Casio CZ-101 problem: Blinking lights and it doesn't seem to

Postby lucasgoss » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:33 am

Hello everyone, Was wondering if anyone could help me with my CZ-101. Purchased off of eBay, without a power supply. I bought an AD-5 Adapter off of amazon, and it seems to not be working with the keyboard, or there's something wrong internally. I plugged it in and powered it on, but the LCD screen starts flashing and resetting, and all the lights are blinking. I can hear the patches and sounds but they are not sustained, and get cut off as if the unit is constantly re-powering on. The same thing happens with D batteries. The "P" button on the bottom does affect anything. I opened it up and cleaned up some flux residue near the AC slot, but it had no affect. Does anyone know if the power supply might be the issue? Or if it's something internal within my unit? PLEASE HELP!

ALSO, before i got my AC adapter from amazon, i accidentally used a Center positive, outer negative adapter, which was the wrong adapter for the unit, and i'm not sure if this affected anything.
lucasgoss

Re: Casio CZ-101 problem: Blinking lights and it doesn't see

Postby Rasputin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:52 am

As far as I remember, the power jack is protected by a diode, so a reverse in polarity shouldn't have harmed it. The 'P' button just copies the presets from ROM into patch RAM. I don't believe it has any bearing on the actual operation of the synth.

As far as rebooting goes, it's possible it's a power regulator. They have overheating and short-circuit protection and will auto-power off should anything be out-of-order. But since the power button in the CZ-101 is continually depressed, the synth will automatically attempt to power up.

Also, there's an auto power shutoff switch (APO) so that circuit could be kicking in erroneously. Try fiddling with the switch and turning it off.

What's the time interval between power up and down? Like 1 second down, 1 second up?

If you didn't grab the service manual yet: http://www.burnkit2600.com/manuals/CASI ... 00_SRV.pdf

P.S. Here's a parts list if you decide to do any recapping, etc. (scroll down to CZ-101, obviously):
http://r-massive.cellarseer.com/recappi ... -samplers/
Rasputin

Postby lucasgoss » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:24 am

Rasputin wrote:As far as I remember, the power jack is protected by a diode, so a reverse in polarity shouldn't have harmed it. The 'P' button just copies the presets from ROM into patch RAM. I don't believe it has any bearing on the actual operation of the synth.

As far as rebooting goes, it's possible it's a power regulator. They have overheating and short-circuit protection and will auto-power off should anything be out-of-order. But since the power button in the CZ-101 is continually depressed, the synth will automatically attempt to power up.

Also, there's an auto power shutoff switch (APO) so that circuit could be kicking in erroneously. Try fiddling with the switch and turning it off.

What's the time interval between power up and down? Like 1 second down, 1 second up?

If you didn't grab the service manual yet: http://www.burnkit2600.com/manuals/CASI ... 00_SRV.pdf

P.S. Here's a parts list if you decide to do any recapping, etc. (scroll down to CZ-101, obviously):
http://r-massive.cellarseer.com/recappi ... -samplers/

Yep it's pretty much 1 second down, and 1 second up. Do you know how much it will cost to get it repaired? The ebay listing showed the unit powered up, however not through an AC, it was using the batteries. So im not sure if the unit shipped like that, or if it was something I did that might have messed it up. I did open it up before the adapter arrived, just to make sure everything looked fine on the inside.
lucasgoss

Postby Rasputin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:32 am

lucasgoss wrote:I did open it up before the adapter arrived, just to make sure everything looked fine on the inside.

So rather than run it off batteries, you decided to open it up?

I'd be inclined to say that you might have accidentally shorted one of the PCBs to one of the foil shields or something similar.

Other than the ribbon cables going from PCB to PCB, the CZ-101 is pretty easy to work on. I think the CPU is the most esoteric thing in it, so you could probably have it serviced anywhere for pretty cheap.

Try all the obvious stuff though, like making sure the power jack isn't loose, fiddle the APO switch, clean the power switch with DeOxit, take it apart and make sure nothing is touching anything that isn't supposed to be touching. I'm thinking short circuit, power switch, APO circuit in that order. I doubt it's power jack related given that it behaves exactly the same under battery power.
Rasputin

Return to HELP!