wanting info and answers

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
jump for joy

wanting info and answers

Post by jump for joy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:07 pm

hello everyone

im new to this forum im a singer who has moved overseas and now is without a band to jam music on stage and upon meeting a very experienced musician who played synths and things i got a good advice on what to use and a few basic lessons, but sadly they have come to an end and i am learning myself from manuals and trial and error
but i digress on to the topic i wish to discuss
firstly my setup
m audio venom {and vyvex software} synth
yamaha rmx1 sequencer
roland boss 550 dr rhythm drum machine
cubase elements software
mic
associated cables for midi etc
the original manuals in book form for all the above

my intention is to create 80s style minimal synth songs to be played live, accompanied by singing i have well rehearsed song lyrics with strong tunes and have a solid idea of the sound/music i want to make

i am still learning the terms for everything so please excuse my laymans explanations

i have studied the manuals and even tho they are well written they only describe what buttons/effects do and lacks when it comes to explaining how they are use in conjunction etc to create music ie a practical walk through guide eg i watched a video on youtube about pattern creation on the rmx1 and it was good and clear and showed me what i needed to know in a step by step way. Without the vid i would have never figured it out from the manual alone.
perhaps its me being a newbie but the manuals all seem to be written with vital information About practical useage missing and are written from a point of view that you already are a expert and know the operation details of buttons labeled track and has a manual description of "selects the current track":

i have figured out some things but for completeness i ask for a step one plug it in turn it on level of complete newbie
answers

my questions are as follows
1 could someone give me a walk throrghu step by guide/advic on how to create patterns/loops on the venom synth and have them play while other music is played over it starting at step one ":turn it on" level the manuel only tells me i can accomplish this not exactly how

2 how do i join the yamaha rm1x to the venom and use both to play live music with live played over recorded ? including info on loops etc again the manuels only tell me i can accomplish this rather than exactly how

3 just using the rm1x alone to record songs then play them live

it would be awesome if i could get the info i seek i"m happy to explain in other ways if my description is to nonspecific, I'm just keen to get back on stage and actively making music

thanks

jxalex
Gear: enough

Re: wanting info and answers

Post by jxalex » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:14 am

oh yeah? and I want to be a astronaut in space, without bothering to read becouse of my selfimportance

it would be awesome if someone could just drop the answer without reading my question or what this forum is about becouse it does not matter in which thread I am writing it

I never figured out from youtube videos how to enrich the Uran isotopes or what is all that stuff about

and i do mind my nose picking

'

YOU ARE WRITING IN A WRONG THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jump for joy

Post by jump for joy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:43 pm

oh.well..im.sorry..i.asked..

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Getting Vizex to communicate properly w/ Venom is not intuitive or enjoyable at all, and why I sold mine. Which is too bad, the Venom has an awesome sound and architecture. Trade up for something like an Ultranova, you'll thank yourself many times over.

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:58 am

jump for joy wrote:oh.well..im.sorry..i.asked..
...in a wrong thread !

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:11 pm

jxalex wrote:
...in a wrong thread !
How is the thread wrong? And what does that even mean? The OP started this thread to ask for help with two specific synthesizers. There's nothing wrong with that, and since it's his own thread, and it's in the help section, it's perfectly appropriate. Asking a basic question is not out of line, but being unnecessarily harsh to someone who's asking for help is.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:02 am

ninja6485 wrote:
jxalex wrote:
...in a wrong thread !
How is the thread wrong? And what does that even mean? The OP started this thread to ask for help with two specific synthesizers. There's nothing wrong with that, and since it's his own thread, and it's in the help section, it's perfectly appropriate. Asking a basic question is not out of line, but being unnecessarily harsh to someone who's asking for help is.
Well, the word was section, I see, not a thread. There I went wrong.

I thought that it was in a wrong section since 99.5% of the questions in a HELP section are more about repairs and engineering, thats why? ;)
. And at the same time all these questions about how to use or choose the synthesizers are in Generic Synthesizer section.
But ok, I had no idea that its totally ok, to get in and to ask also the preset patch used in a video in this section. :D

miaomiao
Gear: Spectralis 2, Korg EMX, Yamaha EX-5, Electribe ES-1, Electribe EA-1, Casio CZ-1, Behringer Pro One

Post by miaomiao » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:46 am

jump for joy wrote:hello everyone

im new to this forum im a singer who has moved overseas and now is without a band to jam music on stage and upon meeting a very experienced musician who played synths and things i got a good advice on what to use and a few basic lessons, but sadly they have come to an end and i am learning myself from manuals and trial and error
but i digress on to the topic i wish to discuss
firstly my setup
m audio venom {and vyvex software} synth
yamaha rmx1 sequencer
roland boss 550 dr rhythm drum machine
cubase elements software
mic
associated cables for midi etc
the original manuals in book form for all the above

my intention is to create 80s style minimal synth songs to be played live, accompanied by singing i have well rehearsed song lyrics with strong tunes and have a solid idea of the sound/music i want to make

i am still learning the terms for everything so please excuse my laymans explanations

i have studied the manuals and even tho they are well written they only describe what buttons/effects do and lacks when it comes to explaining how they are use in conjunction etc to create music ie a practical walk through guide eg i watched a video on youtube about pattern creation on the rmx1 and it was good and clear and showed me what i needed to know in a step by step way. Without the vid i would have never figured it out from the manual alone.
perhaps its me being a newbie but the manuals all seem to be written with vital information About practical useage missing and are written from a point of view that you already are a expert and know the operation details of buttons labeled track and has a manual description of "selects the current track":

i have figured out some things but for completeness i ask for a step one plug it in turn it on level of complete newbie
answers

my questions are as follows
1 could someone give me a walk throrghu step by guide/advic on how to create patterns/loops on the venom synth and have them play while other music is played over it starting at step one ":turn it on" level the manuel only tells me i can accomplish this not exactly how

2 how do i join the yamaha rm1x to the venom and use both to play live music with live played over recorded ? including info on loops etc again the manuels only tell me i can accomplish this rather than exactly how

3 just using the rm1x alone to record songs then play them live

it would be awesome if i could get the info i seek i"m happy to explain in other ways if my description is to nonspecific, I'm just keen to get back on stage and actively making music

thanks
Hi,

first of all I don't think someone can give you a step by step guide, since it is rather unlikely someone has same devices as you. It is also recomendable to learn basics about using MIDI and audio connections, recording sound in DAW and so on for your future carreer as an electronic musician.

Since you already have a computer in your setup, why not just use DAW (cubase, ableton, etc.) and an audio interface to record tracks from your hardware and arrange it? This is an easy and quite flexible way to start making your music. You can play live and use recorded tracks as background for your performance.

If you want to have a computer free live setup, you need to learn more about MIDI. There are many tutorials on the internet and there is no way around learning MIDI basics if you want to make electronic music with hardware.

I would suggest to use the yamaha rm1x as the master sequencer. Unfortunately neither venom nor dr550 have a midi through, so if you want to sync all devices together you will need a midi through box. After connecting MIDI to all the devices you can use the rm1x to trigger playback from dr550 and venom and be able to play live music on venom. Of course you need setup MIDI on all devices, which requires reading the manual and understanding the basics of MIDI communication.

My advice:
1. Get a DAW and an audio interface to record sound from you hardware to your computer. You can arrange recorded tracks in DAW then run them as background and use hardware synths for live parts in your performance. This is an easy and effective way to produce music.
2. Learn about MIDI and how to make MIDI settings on your devices if you want a puristic live setup without a computer.