Can't load Moog Source patches via cassette interface

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Can't load Moog Source patches via cassette interface

Post by walkathon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:49 am

Argh, it's drivin' me batty, mateys. A kind VSE member recently sent me copies of the Devo / Jan Hammer et al Moog Source patches from back in the day, but I've yet to successfully load them into my Source.

I've tried 2 different 5-pin cables (5-pin to 1/4", 5-pin to 1/8"), had the stereo plugs inserted all the way or to the first ring only, played the audio files back at ALL kinds of different volumes, collapsed the audio files to mono, phase inverted the audio files, etc. OCCASIONALLY I'd see the "uu" error while verifying or loading the data, but even then, if I tried to play it back w/ the same settings, I might not see the error or any acknowledgement again.

Even back in the day, my Juno-106 was NEVER this crabby to load cassette data. This especially sucks considering my Source's internal battery is DOA and doesn't save patches during power cycles.

Any ideas? I purchased improperly wired 5-pin cables? Cassette interface on the Moog is hosed? (Have yet to open up this Source, but will have to when soldering in a new battery - yuck.) Admittedly I also have not tried saving then loading my OWN patches, but that's because this macbook doesn't have an input on it, just the headphones out.

Long-winded explanation, but any help is appreciated. I sure do love this Source otherwise.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Can't load Moog Source patches via cassette interface

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:47 pm

1. The files could be at fault:
Were these recorded from the synth (good) or a cassette (bad)? Was the cassette running at the right speed? A few percent change could be a dealbreaker- it is with the P5 for example. Furthermore no synth I know of will be happy with MP3 compression, but 8 bit 22kHz WAV is fine. It'll be a mono file because there's only one cable to carry the signal, and polarity should not make any difference.

2. The cables:
Do you have the pinouts for the cable? If you do, test the cables for continuity. Then you'll have to test that the synth can save and load its own patches, before trying the files.

3. Electronics tech:
After that, you're looking at testing the cassette interface. Could be anything. Dead op-amp, leaky cap, anything. You'll need the service manual and at least an oscilloscope, logic analyzer would be better.

4. I've read a rumour that there are different revs of the Source so cassette data from one rev doesn't work with all revs... check the service manual to confirm or deny that.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Re: Can't load Moog Source patches via cassette interface

Post by walkathon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Thx much for the feedback. These are mp3's, so maybe that's at play. I'll report back for future generations when I've got time to dig in again.