Yamaha SY85 belt replacement procedures?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha SY85 belt replacement procedures?

Postby ByteMe2Day » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi!

Does anyone have the replacement procedures for the belt on an SY85?
I have a new belt and have the unit open.
It doesn't look like I can just slip it in so I need guidance on tearing the drive down.
Maybe there's a link to the procedure someone can point me to?
It looks like I have to remove a circuit board that houses a reader that's in the way.
That reader (I think) is for detecting the drive speed.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's a pic of the board:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/206 ... G_0663.JPG

Thanks.
ByteMe2Day

Gear: Too many synths to list!

Re: Yamaha SY85 belt replacement procedures?

Postby Yekuku » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi , I have never seen this drive in real life, so my advices are just theoretical.
It looks like you need to remove the black faceplate and then unscrew/ lift the pcb, so that you can pop the belt back in.
The quickest way seems to be to desolder the hall effect optical sensor ( reader?) and then install the belt and solder the sensor back in . Marking both pcbs with a marker can help you put the sensor in the exact place where it was.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby Mooger5 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 pm

There are a few tutorials on Youtube. I replaced the belt on mine years ago and it still didn´t work. Good luck though.
I´ve yet to try the USB floppies.

Edit - From what I can remember, I think I just slipped the belt between the wheel and the sensor. Mark the flat cable so when reassembling you know which side is up.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby ByteMe2Day » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:24 am

Thanks everyone.
The belt seems too thick but I only looked at the old one. I guess I'll take it apart but will check the new belt first.
Maybe it's' different than the old one. I will also try to leave the ribbon cable in place in order to keep the tear down to a minimum. It will require a delicate hand and some patience, neither of which I have, but it'll be worth a shot.
ByteMe2Day

Gear: Too many synths to list!

Postby Baus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:35 am

I think you just need to unscrew the PCB. You will be able to lift that up so you can access the big black wheel on the left.

Put the new belt on, screw the PCB in Place and that's it.

I did this with my SY-77 and it took me more time to unscrew the bottom plate of the synth to open it up than it took me to actually get access to the floppy drive and replace the belt.

By the way.... I had no official belt around when I did this. Believe it or not but I used a piece of the inner tube of a bicycle tire.... and it works well.... not the best but well enough. I don't use the drive that often.
Baus

Return to HELP!