Vintage 70s Sounding VSTs

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
dialectic

Vintage 70s Sounding VSTs

Post by dialectic » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi fellow members

It might be a bit broad and a bit of a stretch but I want to know whether you guys can recommend Virtual Instruments, software based synths or sound libraries that could help emulate that Vintage funky dramatic 70s sound found in the music by composers like Adrian Younge and older musicians like Hugo Montenegro, Riz Ortolani, the Synth stuff by Ennio Morricone, Goblin, Piero Umiliani etc.

I can list a few examples. I would love to know what you think and any suggestions would be really appreciated :D :D :D

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Re: Vintage 70s Sounding VSTs

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Your best bet is to find some vintage tape/ tube / amp, or even mic simulator plugins, and then run your standard vst's through those. Did you try the tape saturation emulation on anything you have in your current DAW? A little EQ might help as well after the saturation to polish it up a little bit, and give the impression that your recording has some antiquity to it.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:40 pm

genuinesoundware.com
I sold my Rhodes 73 Stage, as their MrRay73 is so damn good.
They make other plugs for tonewheel organ, Wurlitzer piano, CP70, and even a Miles Davis trumpet plug.

Like ninja says I like to add filth to recordings. I'll put together some drumloops in BFD, then use iZotope Vinyl free plugin to take the recording back to whatever decade you want. Even pre-WWII.

dialectic

Post by dialectic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:35 am

Guys thank you so much for the replies and suggestions. I am looking into them and I'm starting with the iZotope Vinyl which sounds awesome! I'll also try some of the stuff at genuinesoundware.com

One of the main issues I've faced is getting a proper trumpet sound, especially when I aim for the western-mariachi like Ennio Morricone sound. I've used Komplete Session Horns, Cinebrass, etc. but nothing really fit for that purpose. I'll try and check AMG KAB and see how it sounds.

I am new around here and wanted to know whether there is a section of the forum to identify synths or virtual instruments. Like a place where you can submit a song and find out what synth is being used.

Thanks again guys!

:)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:51 pm

IME the best thing for tape character is SoundToys EchoBoy. Set the delay time to zero and play around with the various models in the Tweak menu. If you like Izoptope Vinyl, EchoBoy will have you floored :)

Synth ID is a common question, there's no specific section for it.