step seqencer

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

step seqencer

Postby stupots » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:34 pm

hi i use a fender guitar with the midi pickup useing the roland gr33 midi synth also a emu b3 hammond module coming off the midi out from thr gr33 ,question can you put a output signal to standard jack socket imput on a seqencer .just trying to experiment
thanks
stupots
stupots

Re: step seqencer

Postby Z » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Step sequencers, for the most part, are designed to output control voltages to control the pitch of monophonic analog synthesizers or any other modulation destination that accepts control voltages (ie, filter cut-off).

What sort of INPUT does the sequencer your wanting to use have. Most step sequencers will have an input for an external clock so you can synchronize it with other gear.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby stupots » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:38 pm

hi thanks for reply im not quite sure if i am getting myself understood, been 71 years old been playing guitar since 18 years old, what i would like to do is play a samples via guitar midi to roland guitar synth or hammond samples from the emu b3 .these have midi in and out ,the sounds come from standard jack outputs to amp imputs, is there a midi step sequencer that uses standard jack inputs to put samples in then the output to a amp ,the midi then can trigger
thanks
stupots
stupots

Postby Z » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:19 pm

OK, sounds like you want a SAMPLER and NOT and sequencer.

So just about any sampler should do what you're wanting to do. Just send the MIDI OUT from your GR-33 to the MIDI IN of the sampler and run the sampler's audio out into your amp.

I recommend watching some videos on YouTube of MIDI guitarists triggering samplers from their rigs to get an idea of what they're doing and to help pick the right sampler for your needs.

I'm not a guitarist and don't know how the GR-33 works, but I do remember reading about Roland's early MIDI guitar systems that each string is assigned to its own MIDI channel that way each string can operate independently (own pitch bending and such). That being the case, you'll want a sampler that is MULTI-TIMBRAL which allows multiple instances of the same (or different) instrument sample to be assigned to multiple MIDI channels. You could have all 6 strings trigger a piano sample, or you could configure it to where the low E is playing a tuba, middle 4 strings playing violins and the high E playing a trumpet.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby stupots » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:22 pm

hi would a samlper give the same effect as a step sequencer
stupots

Postby ninja6485 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:37 pm

stupots wrote:i would like to do is play a samples via guitar midi to roland guitar synth or hammond samples from the emu b3
This is so confusing, it's hard to tell if you really do want a sampler. I think you need to research and get a clear picture of what the basic definitions of sampler, sequencer, midi, and audio signals, including CV and gate signals are. Also, maybe someone on here can read your post in your native language and translate your message clearly to us?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Z » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:50 am

stupots wrote:hi would a samlper give the same effect as a step sequencer

Like Ninja suggested, you need to read up on terminology as you are clearly getting these confused.

We are here to help you, but you need to know the terminology so we can better assist you.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby stupots » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 am

hi thanks for the help
i play in a church worship band and i have heard bands with a keyboard player using a sequencer playing as part of what the key board player is doing ,which sounds quite good ,i thought as i use midi on my equipment i could do the same .or not
thanks
stupots
stupots

Postby Z » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Sounds like these keyboard players are using digital MIDI sequencers to play back additional parts.

A MIDI sequencer is a composition tool. Think of a MIDI sequencer for music as a word processor is to writing. You record music DATA (not sound) into the sequencer and you can manipulate it (cut, copy, paste, quantize, etc).
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Worship » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Worship songs are the Christian music that used in contemporary worship. These songs are also known as the "praise music". Worship songs typically led by a "worship band" or "praise team".
Worship

Return to HELP!