CS1X MIDI in/out not working

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

CS1X MIDI in/out not working

Postby sgsii » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Greetings to all members! ;)

I am new here. I have searched the interweb, including this forum, for an answer with no luck.

I have bought CS1X recently and quite like it despite all its deficiencies and limitations. However I kind of got stuck when I tried to connect it to my PC and/or laptop using a MIDI to USB interface. I don't get any in or out signals. The MIDI interface has been tested with a different keyboard and works fine. I have messed around with the settings, set send channel to 1 and receive to 2, turned the local off, the switch at the back set to "midi" but no luck.

Another issue is that I am not able to find a PC software that could be used to edit patches etc. The CS1X Edit software is not compatible with Win 7 or 10.

Apologies if already discussed. ;)
sgsii

Re: CS1X MIDI in/out not working

Postby Rasputin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:30 pm

Since you obviously have another MIDI keyboard, I'd connect that keyboard to the CS1X and see if it plays nicely that way. I'm suggesting that to rule out some problem with the computer's MIDI setup.

If nothing is working that way, regardless of MIDI channel settings, etc. then at least you'll know it's a problem with the CS1X and not some phantom MIDI driver issue you're trying to chase down.
Rasputin

Postby sgsii » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Rasputin wrote:Since you obviously have another MIDI keyboard, I'd connect that keyboard to the CS1X and see if it plays nicely that way. I'm suggesting that to rule out some problem with the computer's MIDI setup.

If nothing is working that way, regardless of MIDI channel settings, etc. then at least you'll know it's a problem with the CS1X and not some phantom MIDI driver issue you're trying to chase down.

Спасибо Mr Rasputin for your quick reply. I see where you're coming from. However the cable I have at the moment (E-mu Midi 1x1) will only let me connect to a USB device such as PC, unless I'm missing something. I should probably get a couple of midi to midi cables though since the idea was to get a cheapish sequencer to go with CS1X at a later stage.
sgsii

Postby Rasputin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:01 pm

sgsii wrote:
Rasputin wrote:I should probably get a couple of midi to midi cables though since the idea was to get a cheapish sequencer to go with CS1X at a later stage.

Ah. I see how you're stuck.

If you're going to post on a forum called Vintage Synth Explorer then it's an unspoken requirement to have some spare MIDI cables around. :D

Okay, well, my advice for the interim would be to install MIDI Ox and watch all the MIDI traffic to/from the computer with the CS1X hooked up. Even if the MIDI channel or global/local settings, etc. are wrong then you'll at least see them talking to each other. That will narrow it down more.
Rasputin

Postby Yekuku » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:29 pm

If you dont mind losing all user patches , why dont you try a factory reset ?
WARNING: All user stored data will be deleted. If the current settings and data are not expendable, create a backup before executing the Factory Reset.

1) Turn OFF the keyboard.

2) Press and hold down the [7], [8] and [9] buttons on the numeric keypad while turning ON the keyboard.

3) Once the power is ON, release the buttons. The Performance, Scene, System and MIDI settings will reinitialize to the original factory settings.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby sgsii » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Yekuku wrote:If you dont mind losing all user patches , why dont you try a factory reset ?
WARNING: All user stored data will be deleted. If the current settings and data are not expendable, create a backup before executing the Factory Reset.

1) Turn OFF the keyboard.

2) Press and hold down the [7], [8] and [9] buttons on the numeric keypad while turning ON the keyboard.

3) Once the power is ON, release the buttons. The Performance, Scene, System and MIDI settings will reinitialize to the original factory settings.

I've done it a few times already, no luck...

Funny enough I still have all the user patches that the previous owner must have installed. My assumption is that there are no user patches when the synth is new, only presets?
sgsii

Postby sgsii » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Rasputin wrote:
sgsii wrote:
Rasputin wrote:I should probably get a couple of midi to midi cables though since the idea was to get a cheapish sequencer to go with CS1X at a later stage.

Ah. I see how you're stuck.

If you're going to post on a forum called Vintage Synth Explorer then it's an unspoken requirement to have some spare MIDI cables around. :D

Okay, well, my advice for the interim would be to install MIDI Ox and watch all the MIDI traffic to/from the computer with the CS1X hooked up. Even if the MIDI channel or global/local settings, etc. are wrong then you'll at least see them talking to each other. That will narrow it down more.

I know I lack a lot of basics - mainly relevant knowledge - let alone spare cables :D . But hey I'm only taking my first baby steps into this hobby :roll:

I had a feeling there must be some sort of a software that should do what you have just described - will give it a try.

I have some progress though - just downloaded some basic freeware called VMPK and managed to send some signals to the CS1X to trigger some of its sounds. But also it turns out you can send actual sounds from PC through MIDI which is odd based on my limited understanding of the "MIDI" concept :shock: I thought it only sends signals and not sounds, but that's a different issue :D

EDIT: I'm starting to slowly understand the idea - just downloaded a .midi sequence file and depending on which sound bank I choose it triggers the right sounds...
sgsii

Postby sgsii » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:34 am

According to MIDI Ox, and the dimmed signal light on the MIDI cable, no MIDI signal is coming out of the CS1X. It could be a settings issue - wrong channel or something. At the same time I think it should work with the default settings after a factory reset. Really hoping there's no hardware issue with the midi out on the yamaha...
sgsii

Postby Rasputin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:30 am

sgsii wrote:But also it turns out you can send actual sounds from PC through MIDI which is odd based on my limited understanding of the "MIDI" concept :shock: I thought it only sends signals and not sounds, but that's a different issue :D

MIDI can do a few things. Mostly music notes (pitch), velocity, volume, pitch bend, etc. type information like music notation. That's what most people think of. It can also control devices insofar as selecting presets/patches or altering parameters of those patches. Ideally it can do that in realtime for the sake of performances, but sometimes it only works in the sense of saving/loading patches to/from a library or archive. Almost all synths support those features, but some really old stuff will only deal with notes and velocity but not offer patch load/save or parameter control. It all depends on the specific machine, of course.

And lastly, not to confuse you, but MIDI actually can transmit digital sound. This isn't the case for synths or most MIDI devices, but a select number of samplers with MIDI can (very slowly) transfer sounds over MIDI. It doesn't work as an audio output, it is actually more like transferring a file over a (very slow) computer network.

That kind of sound transfer isn't happening with a synth, but I thought I'd put the info out there regardless.
Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:36 am

sgsii wrote:According to MIDI Ox, and the dimmed signal light on the MIDI cable, no MIDI signal is coming out of the CS1X. It could be a settings issue - wrong channel or something. At the same time I think it should work with the default settings after a factory reset. Really hoping there's no hardware issue with the midi out on the yamaha...

If MIDI Ox isn't showing traffic then it's not a wrong channel because even on the wrong channel a receiving device will see the traffic, it'll just choose to ignore it.

If you connect your other keyboard to the computer in the same way and MIDI Ox shows incoming traffic then you've pretty much ruled out a problem with the cable or your computer software/drivers.

Since the CS1X is receiving MIDI then even if it's a hardware problem with transmitting MIDI then it's probably a (relatively) easy fix. Why? Because the in/out circuit shares a lot of parts, so if one is working and not the other than it is almost always some $0.79 part or a bent jack pin, etc.

Could be that the OS software in the synth is confused though. A hard reset could clear that up. If not, I am inclined to think it is a hardware issue. Visually inspecting the MIDI Tx (output) jack would be a good first step -- corroded pins, broken solder joint, etc.
Rasputin

Postby sgsii » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 am

Rasputin wrote:If MIDI Ox isn't showing traffic then it's not a wrong channel because even on the wrong channel a receiving device will see the traffic, it'll just choose to ignore it.

If you connect your other keyboard to the computer in the same way and MIDI Ox shows incoming traffic then you've pretty much ruled out a problem with the cable or your computer software/drivers.

Since the CS1X is receiving MIDI then even if it's a hardware problem with transmitting MIDI then it's probably a (relatively) easy fix. Why? Because the in/out circuit shares a lot of parts, so if one is working and not the other than it is almost always some $0.79 part or a bent jack pin, etc.

Thanks for all your help I will definately try your suggestion tomorrow 8-) . It's nearly 2am here in the Uk and need to be up early for work :(
sgsii

Postby ranzee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:09 am

I hope the OP can sort out his issues - I recall having some MIDI issues with mine many moons ago ...

I bought a CS1x back in the early days - I think it was my 2nd synth. I still have it, and recently got it out of it's dusty resting place and powered it up. Good news, it all still works great :)

My question to you knowledgeable folk - do you think this will be a classic?

The sound is so 90's crunchy - it really isn't clean. The filter steps like a Russian Parade Horse. The PCM samples must be 8bit? That sort of sound could be something people might be after now - with all this purity in digital happening.
ranzee

Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Postby sgsii » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:59 pm

Well, just connected my Yamaha Piaggero NP-11 using the same midi interface to the same laptop and it worked straight away, both in and out. That's the good news. The bad news is I'm kind of stuck on the things I can do to troubleshoot the issue. At least it has been narrowed down to the CS1X itself. I can either attempt a repair or return it back to the shop - it came with six months warranty. It would be a shame since I quite like the damn thing and bought it at 1/2 of what it sells on ebay these days.
sgsii

Postby Rasputin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:24 pm

It's probably just a bum MIDI jack, bad hex inverter or something else simple. Anyone familiar with logic probes and digital logic (not as complicated as it sounds) of any kind could probably fix it in an hour or two (not counting waiting for spare parts to arrive in the post -- always a project killer, ha ha).

If you were in the U.S. I would offer to look at it for the price of shipping it back, maybe someone on here lives closer to you.

Edit: You said you finally got MIDI in working, right? So you should test MIDI thru as well. Connect the 2nd MIDI keyboard you have to the MIDI Thru of the CS1X and try to get it to respond. That will test if the MIDI Out jack is physically bad. If it's electrically bad then both MIDI Out and Thru will not work, but if MIDI Thru works but not MIDI Out then it's probably a busted out jack.
Rasputin

Postby ʝɵʝɵ » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:14 pm

I might be stating the obvious, but did you try changing the three-way switch next to the MIDI connectors on the CS1x to different settings? IIRC it had three settings PC1, PC2 and MAC, and one of the first two is the correct one.
ʝɵʝɵ

Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Next

Return to HELP!