Moog LP having problems, what to do?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
moodorf
Gear: Little Phatty (needs repair)
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Pittsburgh Modular System 10
Renoise
FL

Moog LP having problems, what to do?

Post by moodorf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:38 am

A few months ago I had a serious problem with my LP. I turned it on and suddenly the room was filled with the smell of burnt electronics and the noise coming out of synth through my monitors was just a broken, unnatural drone. All of the LEDs around the knobs were wildly flickering and that horrible sound confirmed that something seriously bad had happened to my Little Phatty :cry: :cry: :cry:

The worst part about it is this: my local keyboard repair shop has told me over the phone that there's a good chance they won't be able to fix it. My next option was to call moog and find out if they can fix it.

It turns out they can but that moog charges $90 an hour for synth repair services. Ninety flippin dollars an hour! :o I could be spending half as much as the synth is worth to get it repaired!

So I don't know what to do here. Any advice?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Moog LP having problems, what to do?

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Look at it this way, your options are:

1. Get it fixed at Moog for $90 an hour.

2. Buy another one used.

3. Find another repairman who is willing to work on it and hope it's cheaper than Moog.

Based on the reported symptoms, my guess is something in the power supply, but that's just a guess. Good luck.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

moodorf
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Renoise
FL

Post by moodorf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:02 am

meatballfulton wrote:Look at it this way, your options are:

1. Get it fixed at Moog for $90 an hour.

2. Buy another one used.

3. Find another repairman who is willing to work on it and hope it's cheaper than Moog.

Based on the reported symptoms, my guess is something in the power supply, but that's just a guess. Good luck.
Thanks, I don't know why I had to make it so complicated. Though I miss the awesome sound of my LP I think i'm going to replace it with a similarly spec'd synth module. But not from moog, since it's $90 an hour. I was thinking maybe an Oberheim Sem Pro or something.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:19 pm

If I were you, I'd at least open the synth and have a look inside before jumping to conclusions. If it actually turns out to be the PSU it should be rather easy to see. Taking some pictures and showing them might also help.

If is is indeed "only" the PSU, fixing it should be possible with reasonable effort and costs.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:53 pm

I agree that this sounds like a power supply issue. If something burned, it should be obvious when you open it up. My guess is the rectifier has a shorted diode, and/or a filter cap blew up. These are things that are not hard to fix.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

moodorf
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Renoise
FL

Post by moodorf » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:45 am

Ok, i'll open it up to take a picture.

EDIT: Upon opening up my phatty I noticed one of the wires had become unseated. I re-seated it and it seems to be alright now!! :D I'm gonna monitor it/ play it for a couple days to see if that's what it was.