Alesis QS6 Battery Replacement - Doesn't Work!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
elsongs

Alesis QS6 Battery Replacement - Doesn't Work!

Post by elsongs » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:52 am

I have a 21 year-old Alesis QS6 keyboard and when I was trying to listen to some of my User Presets, I got some gibberish characters. Instinctively, I did some research on battery replacement and ordered a BR-2325/HGN battery (with 3 solder pins). I removed the motherboard and unsoldered the old battery, which apparently had leaked some residue (colored blue and white), which appeared on the motherboard.

I cleaned up the residue with Isopropyl Alcohol, and it looks like there's no trace of it left. Then I soldered in the new battery. I reset the unit by holding down 0+3 while turning it on, and played around with the ROM Presets for a bit, assuming everything was fine. But after I saved some of the ROM sounds to the User bank as a test, and turned the QS6 off and back on, the test User Presets no longer showed up, meaning the battery replacement was unsuccessful.

I tested the solder points at the bottom of the board with a voltage meter and got 3 volts DC, so apparently I got my soldering done right, but why aren't the User Presets remaining after a Power-Off like they should?

The ROM Preset sounds play fine and I can detect no other problems with the keyboard.

HALP!

Rasputin

Re: Alesis QS6 Battery Replacement - Doesn't Work!

Post by Rasputin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:40 am

Polarity? An easy mistake to make.

Another possibility is that you're testing immediately where the battery is, but a trace has corroded between the battery and the backup RAM. Test for voltage further up the chain. If the SRAM isn't getting +5V when the power is off then it will lose the patches.

With the QS6 power off, put a multimeter on the SRAM. Measure the DC voltage with the black probe on pin 16, and red probe on pin 32. +5V?

I don't own or have access to an Alesis QS6, but I think that should be the ticket.

elsongs

Re: Alesis QS6 Battery Replacement - Doesn't Work!

Post by elsongs » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:34 am

Rasputin wrote:Polarity? An easy mistake to make.
Actually impossible to make, as the battery comes with three solder pins; one of the solder pins on the battery is dedicated to the negative while the other two pins are dedicated to the positive. There is only one way to solder in the battery.

Where do I find the SRAM chip? I can only locate the DRAM, located directly to the right of the battery.