How to classify my music?

Synthheads discuss the not directly synth-related stuff.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines
Note: This forum is routinely purged. Topics will be deleted after 30 days with no replies. Think of "Off Topic" as a place to discuss what's on your mind, and have fun. If you feel a topic deserves to live on permanently, you should ask a Moderator if they would consider making it a "Sticky".
Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

How to classify my music?

Post by Hyde » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Advice? With all of the Classifications of music these days & a desire to place what I do into a category, to meet search criteria, I'm a bit lost.
I'm about to release a small group of songs. I describe it as Nine Inch Nails meets Ministry meets Portishead. Probably in that order, though it sounds very little like any of them. It's purposely original. Being that it loosely fits NIN sound/style, best. & being they there really is no solid classification for that body of work(we'll use Downward Spiral as the example), is there really a Classification that one can fit under? Or, how do you find a solid designation for your original style? Curious
Makin' Noises

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: How to classify my music?

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:18 pm

To me, NIN and Ministry are "industrial rock". Portishead is "trip hop". Not much in common between those genres ;)

What you hear as truly original might sound to someone else as being ina particular genre. If you post links for us to listen to it, that would help.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:57 am

Thanks. Yeah, I'll post some stuff when get some final details pulled together. "Industrial Rock" is on the list. It just seems so ambiguous. Maybe not even defined enough to cover anything/anyone specific. Seems that NIN seem to have broken free of most Industrial constraints while elevating to Superstardom. Totally unique for that project. But, searches seem to label it a few different things.
Makin' Noises

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:42 pm

This is a link to my instagram. There are a few examples of what I'm doing

https://www.instagram.com/whenvioletsturngrey/?hl=en
Makin' Noises

BretAB

Post by BretAB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a "category". If someone/site needs to classify your work, I'd say electronic realizations or experimental.

Btw, I listened to many of the pieces at your Instagram page. Just a comment: I wasn't happy that there was no progress bar or playback controls. Just a thought from the listener perspective. Otherwise, interesting pieces, thanks for uploading.

Regards . . .

P.S. I like that there are only 6 threads in this sub-forum. Nice and compact.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:31 am

BretAB wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 pm
Personally, I wouldn't worry about a "category". If someone/site needs to classify your work, I'd say electronic realizations or experimental.

Btw, I listened to many of the pieces at your Instagram page. Just a comment: I wasn't happy that there was no progress bar or playback controls. Just a thought from the listener perspective. Otherwise, interesting pieces, thanks for uploading.

Regards . . .

P.S. I like that there are only 6 threads in this sub-forum. Nice and compact.
Progress Bar? Playback Controls? I'm not sure what those are, or what you mean? I'd be happy to try to accommodate. Thanks for the feedback.

My categorization concerns are mostly for hashtags & searches. I'd like to make it as direct as possible for people trying to find new music that's similar to what I do. When I try to search for things similar, I almost have to have a name of a particular band. Maybe I'm pipe dreaming...
Makin' Noises

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Why instagram? What's with the super short clips? Seems an odd approach to be honest. Some interesting sounds going on, but would rather hear complete compositions.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 am

Jabberwalky wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:51 pm
Why instagram? What's with the super short clips? Seems an odd approach to be honest. Some interesting sounds going on, but would rather hear complete compositions.
I'm waiting on artwork for the Release of the songs. I'll load it to other formats, from there.
Makin' Noises

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:51 pm

Here's is an example.

Makin' Noises