Ripoff Sellers Cashing in on Vintage Audio

Synthheads discuss the not directly synth-related stuff.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines
Note: This forum is routinely purged. Topics will be deleted after 30 days with no replies. Think of "Off Topic" as a place to discuss what's on your mind, and have fun. If you feel a topic deserves to live on permanently, you should ask a Moderator if they would consider making it a "Sticky".

Ripoff Sellers Cashing in on Vintage Audio

Postby Rasputin » Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am

Just a rant.

It peeves me that people try to make a fast buck on things that they don't own, especially when they haven't even invested enough time or effort into their wares to warrant selling at the price they do, or haven't added any value to it at all.

I guess I'm pretty much equally irritated by uniformed buyers that fall for it because that just legitimizes their tactics all the more. Seriously... downloading all bunch of free patches and burning them to CD or printing out PDF manuals and selling them is just sleazy. To anyone selling what is essentially xeroxed material which you've freely gathered elsewhere... a giant 'F' for your 'U'.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391336594042?ul_noapp=true

$30 plus $12 ship? For something stolen from a Casio fan site and printed out? You're scum.

:pissed:

Why do people fall for this?!?! Learn to Google! ARRRRRGHGHH!
Rasputin

Re: Ripoff Sellers Cashing in on Vintage Audio

Postby V301H » Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Many uniformed buyers are presumably in the military and since all their expenses are paid by the government they are often careless about how they spend their money.

Actually, some of these sellers could be making copies of manuals that they legitimately own from personal acquisitions. Original copies of some rare manuals do have collector value. Xerox copies not so much unless someone really has a need for it. This particular seller does have several original manuals as well as a good amount of music gear for sale. He also has a lot of original auto repair manuals and there is a Make Offer option on most of what he sells.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50
V301H

Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Postby madtheory » Sat May 26, 2018 1:27 pm

Rasputin wrote:$30 plus $12 ship? For something stolen from a Casio fan site and printed out? You're scum.

I paid a little less than that for Akai MX1000 service manual, then shared it with the world. I guess I stole it from the Akai repair centre. Am I a scum too? ;)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Rasputin » Sat May 26, 2018 5:24 pm

madtheory wrote:
Rasputin wrote:$30 plus $12 ship? For something stolen from a Casio fan site and printed out? You're scum.

I paid a little less than that for Akai MX1000 service manual, then shared it with the world. I guess I stole it from the Akai repair centre. Am I a scum too? ;)

Ha ha.

What you did is the exact opposite of what I'm whining about :) If only more people were like you, my man.

I'm talking about things along the lines of someone downloading the latest Windows service pack and then turning around to sell it to some unsuspecting, computer unaware grandmother as a "much needed update because your computer is dangerous to run without it."

Yeah... I guess that's providing a service in a sense, but anyone with scruples would just say, "Microsoft released a bunch of security updates, you can get it directly from them" instead of taking advantage of someone for cash. I mean, it's Microsoft providing the service, the seller is just injecting themselves as a shady middle-man. Yuck.
Rasputin

Postby salwa » Sat May 26, 2018 5:40 pm

I once saw an auction: someone was selling link to free aplication (it was guitar tuner). Officialy he was selling "instruction on how to use" this free software (due to auction site regulations I think). Funny thing is, he was very open about the fact, that this tuner was freeware - he found it and was going to monetize his finding.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl
salwa

Postby madtheory » Sat May 26, 2018 5:42 pm

May I suggest some consolation? I'm pretty sure these are all small time crooks. Plus- a fool and his money are easily parted.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Rasputin » Sat May 26, 2018 5:49 pm

V301H wrote:Original copies of some rare manuals do have collector value. Xerox copies not so much unless someone really has a need for it.

Oh, for sure! I've bought actual real printings of manuals. No problem with that. The manual in question is a PDF that was scanned in for a fan site and is freely available all over the 'net, and not rare in the slightest -- now the originally printed manual on the other hand, I am looking for and would gladly pay money for.

Scum is over-reaching, I'm sure. It's not like someone was violently assaulted or anything. But it's akin to a teacher taking public domain e-text/PDFs of Dracula from Project Gutenberg and then printing them out and selling them to their students as required class material. Not cool.

I just don't get how someone can take a freely distributed resource of the 'net, print it off, and then charge top dollar for it as if there's a reason they're entitled to significant profit from it. I can only assume people purchase it under the assumption that it's somehow more legit than downloading the PDF off a random site, not realizing that the seller did the exact same thing.

A more egregious case is with the dude that's selling all the Emulator X3 related stuff as "digital only" copies. E-mu clearly did NOT license this person to do so, but their site is done up in a way that makes them look like a legitimate reseller of E-mu property, so people think it's not piracy as they're paying money to a supposedly reputable vendor. Not cool, in my opinion.
Rasputin

Return to Off Topic