Asian Synth Pop Cover

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Asian Synth Pop Cover

Postby NCChao1268 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Recorded another cover, this one is of a 90's Asian synth song. I played it on a Kurzweil K2000, Roland JX-8P, and Alesis SR-16, all sounding nearly exact to the original. It is a recreation of the first song in this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bruFdkTSrKw&t=3s It took me a while to figure out the correct notes by ear.
This song is heavy on reverb as well. Originally by Le Duc Cuong, Truc Ho, Nhat Ngan, and Le Hang. Sung by Huong Lan, Elvis Phuong, Anh Son, and Ngoc Bich.

Feel free to listen and let me know what you think.

-Nathan

Last edited by NCChao1268 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NCChao1268

Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Re: Asian Synth Pop Cover

Postby Music Bird » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Cool. Those synth sounds are interesting. I guess you used the JX-8P for the brass sound, it is the same synth used for the horns in Never Gonna Give You Up and Together Forever (Stab Brass), and the Final Countdown. Is that Vietnamese synth music?
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, Harmony 61, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby NCChao1268 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Music Bird wrote:Cool. Those synth sounds are interesting. I guess you used the JX-8P for the brass sound, it is the same synth used for the horns in Never Gonna Give You Up and Together Forever (Stab Brass), and the Final Countdown. Is that Vietnamese synth music?

Thanks for taking a look and commenting, it is a rather interesting sound set used for this song, partially analog from the JX-8P bells and brass, and samples such as the Asian flute and zither, bass and chords from the K2000. Interesting to know what the producers of these "obscure" songs had in mind. Yes this is Vietnamese synth music. Did it seem like the version I recorded could use any additional mastering such as compression, eq, limiting, etc?

-Nathan
NCChao1268

Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Postby Music Bird » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:04 pm

I think the bells were layered by MIDI with a K2000 piano/zithery sound. I don't hear anything additional in the actual song which is related to mastering, maybe some EQ (I think they EQ'd the low end out of the zither).
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, Harmony 61, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Return to The Listening Lounge