I've been putting my Casio CZ-1 through its paces

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

I've been putting my Casio CZ-1 through its paces

Postby bendragon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm now the proud owner of a new-old-stock Casio CZ-1 that was a shop's old display model from back in the day (thus "old stock", but it's unboxed). I imported it from Germany and started getting some complex patches made ASAP.

Number 11 FM (OGG file on one drive)
Number 11 FM patch sheet (PDF file on one drive)
DX7 style E-Piano. Called "Number 11" as that was the patch number of the preset on the DX7.
It uses the Ring Modulation bug (feature?) that turns the synths into Pseudo FM. Line 1 becomes the carrier, Line 2 becomes the modulator. Responds to pitch and volume to build harmonics just like a DX.
  • Internal Chorus used
  • External Chorus used (Tal-Chorus-60)
  • Fruity Reverb 2

Kraftwerk - Man Machine (OGG file on one drive)
  • Only a little Reverb and Delay, with a compressor on the master. Otherwise its totally raw from the CZ-1, including that bass drum and snare (using two and one oscillator, respectively)
  • The excessively fast pitch and amp envelopes (and the CZ's processor and DAC struggling to keep up with them when fired rapidly) just give it this slightly chaotic character.

Planning to make a whole bunch more and put them in a pack! Let me know what you guys think of my CZ tweakings! Cheers. :)
bendragon

Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Re: I've been putting my Casio CZ-1 through its paces

Postby minime123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Wow, new old stock! :) I love the CZ. Also check out the VZ series. It's like an 8 operator FM synth, but warmer and with ring modulation, etc.
Mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com
minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to The Listening Lounge