Yamaha CS-70M - synth demo, sounds & patches

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Yamaha CS-70M - synth demo, sounds & patches

Postby synth4ever » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Watch on youtube.com

This is a demo of the rare Yamaha CS-70M I was able to try when I visited the Vintage Synth Museum in California, featuring some noodling on various patches, step sequencer, pads, LFOs etc.

The Yamaha CS70M is a dual-channel, 6-voice polyphonic synthesizer and the last analog synth from Yamaha in the early 1980s. Although it came out after the CS-80, in many ways it is the spiritual successor.

It has 2 oscillators per voice for a total of 12 VCOs, 2 LFOs, a multimode filter (LPF/BPF/HPF), envelopes for VCF and VCA, ring modulator, chorus and tremolo effects, a 4-track real-time and polyphonic step sequencer, patch memory, 61 keys with aftertouch, and autotune.

It is a large and powerful synth and IMO has a very earthy, dusty and nostalgic tone to it which can often take on acoustic/wood sound qualities. It is also quite rare and often commands high prices on the second hand market.

I really enjoyed my time with this synth when I had the chance to play it. Anyone else ever tried a CS-70M before? What are your thoughts on it?
synth4ever

Gear: - Novation SUPERNOVA II
- Access Virus B
- Access Virus C (Indigo 2)
- Alesis Andromeda A6

Return to The Listening Lounge