Guess which hardware synthesizer I'm using...

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Guess which hardware synthesizer I'm using...

Postby acemonvw » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm

I made a demo using one hardware synthesizer - can you guess which synthesizer it is? The reason I'm interested in this is normally you have a "Juno 60 versus DM12" A/B demo or something and you have a 50% chance of guessing (sometimes people are wrong more than they're right in these instances!) - but what if you didn't know the two being compared? I will give you one hint. This IS a hardware synthesizer with a keyboard attached and there is only ONE instrument being played, this is not a comparison. This synthesizer sat in front of me and I designed all of the sounds and recorded them. I did use some FX (the last sound used the Eventide Space).You will always hear the raw sound first (and some clipping, sorry) before FX are added. The 'video' was made because I have no more space on Soundcloud and needed a way to post the music (you can't share music alone on Facebook, at least I didn't know how). The video is unlisted but you should be able to view it with this link.

So... what synthesizer was used to make these sounds? If you can - write WHY you think it's that synthesizer.

Watch on youtube.com

PS: I tested this out on Facebook and was surprised how few people would respond - Apparently, making a guess scares people, unlike making guesses about A vs B, where they know roughly which synth it could be...
acemonvw

Re: Guess which hardware synthesizer I'm using...

Postby acemonvw » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 pm

I can't tell if just not that many people view this website, or simply don't care to make a guess (could be either of these?), or are not comfortable making a guess at all...

People on Facebook have given me their guesses, so I can tell you what they've come up with:

Elektron Analog 4
An FM synth (DX7 or SY77)
TB-303
Akai Rhythm Wolf (I'll just stop you there - it isn't this one)
Behringer Deepmind
Akai AX-80
SH-101
MS-20
acemonvw

Postby StanleyDes » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:11 pm

I only wish I could make an educated guess. Total newbie here haha. I can only tell you that I like it. When are you going to reveal the answer, Acemonvw?
StanleyDes

Postby acemonvw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:48 pm

StanleyDes wrote:I only wish I could make an educated guess. Total newbie here haha. I can only tell you that I like it. When are you going to reveal the answer, Acemonvw?

Hey StanleyDes, thanks for responding - what a bummer that no one tried (or maybe no one cared).

Considering the amount of opinions about every synth in the world that people have on these forums, I'd have hoped for a little more, but perhaps it was placed in the wrong area (not the discussion forum?).

The synth was the Yamaha SY77.
acemonvw

Postby groy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:11 pm

Oh, cool post! Just saw this. Not that I would have been able to guess...
groy

Postby acemonvw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks groy - yeah, I thought it was a neat idea. I know VSE forums are a little quieter - but heard nothing over at Gearslutz.

I made some comparisons with the Roland Cloud Juno 106 and honestly, I felt like I could get 90% similar sounds out of them... if a little harder to make on the SY77 :)
acemonvw

Return to The Listening Lounge