"Casioheim" video

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
briandc
Gear: 4 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

"Casioheim" video

Post by briandc » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:11 pm

Hi everyone,
a little while back I came across a video on youtube that made me smile, maybe because I used to have a Casio CZ-1000. I tended to think it was "inferior" to "professional" synths, mostly just because the Casio just didn't get the attention. But I appreciated it nonetheless, for what it could do (like having 8 envelope stages!).
Would love to hear your opinions and thoughts!

Brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

desmond

Re: "Casioheim" video

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:08 pm

The CZ-101 was one of my first synths, and I programmed it to death - but of course I always wished for bigger, proper synths at the time. I used to chuckle when coming across patches named like "Oberheimy", and "PPG-ish" and stuff...

What I realised later on (mostly when comparing them to emulation plugins) is actually the CZ series *can* actually sound surprisingly good - it *can* found FMey, PPGey, even Oberheimy etc - under very limited circumstances (it's not like you can reach for a filter cutoff knob, and as soon as you start moving parameters it breaks the illusion).

It's not any of those synths, but can approximate some of them in small areas. But it's a limited, and not that flexible sweet spot. In that video, he's programmed the Obie to hit a sound the CZ can approximate. If you move away from that, the comparison goes pretty quickly. But when I first saw it some time ago, it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. You could do the same with other synths, by deliberating programming them to a sound the CZ is capable of approximating.

I love the CZ's all the same, and I have much more affinity for them than, for instance, the Yamaha FM synths of the time.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:47 pm

CZ-5000 was my first synth, my "poor man's ESQ-1" with the 8 track sequencer and 8 voices. I dl'ed a huge archive of patches in text from an FTP server at some midwestern university I found out about on the USENET at rec.music.makers.synth. Spent many nights punching in parameters and trying to figure out what was going on. A friend of mine showed me how to get a decent pipe organ sound with the "chiff" on the attack (like brass, use a pitch envelope).

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

briandc
Gear: 4 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:49 pm

desmond wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:08 pm
The CZ-101 was one of my first synths, and I programmed it to death - but of course I always wished for bigger, proper synths at the time. I used to chuckle when coming across patches named like "Oberheimy", and "PPG-ish" and stuff...

What I realised later on (mostly when comparing them to emulation plugins) is actually the CZ series *can* actually sound surprisingly good - it *can* found FMey, PPGey, even Oberheimy etc - under very limited circumstances (it's not like you can reach for a filter cutoff knob, and as soon as you start moving parameters it breaks the illusion).

It's not any of those synths, but can approximate some of them in small areas. But it's a limited, and not that flexible sweet spot. In that video, he's programmed the Obie to hit a sound the CZ can approximate. If you move away from that, the comparison goes pretty quickly. But when I first saw it some time ago, it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. You could do the same with other synths, by deliberating programming them to a sound the CZ is capable of approximating.

I love the CZ's all the same, and I have much more affinity for them than, for instance, the Yamaha FM synths of the time.
I think you hit it head-on in the part in your post about emulation being possible "in spots" but not allowing for much lee-way in terms of adjusting parameters. And I remember getting some pretty cool sounds out of my Casio that I really felt were as good-sounding as other, "professional" synths (It would have been even more fun if the CZ-1000 had had velocity sensitivity..), but it was kind of an "all-or-nothing" range to be working in.

And although the temptation to compare synths is enticing, I usually come to the conclusion that each synth is unique in its own right and should be enjoyed as such.

It's just good to see some videos out there that showcase some of the nice sound capabilities of even the "underdog" synths of the past.

BTW: while the Casio CZ line had the 3 "rezo" waveforms to choose from, it seems to me that the DX line didn't provide resonance capability or effect, right?

Brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:22 pm

briandc wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:49 pm
while the Casio CZ line had the 3 "rezo" waveforms to choose from, it seems to me that the DX line didn't provide resonance capability or effect, right?
It's certainly not built-in, which is why so many modern FM synths have filters!

There's probably some sneaky way of using a pair of operators to provide a resonance effect, but that's above my pay grade.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.