New Nine Inch Nails CD: Year Zero

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

The new CD...

...is great
56%
...is so-so
24%
...is disappointing
20%

Total votes: 55

MrHope
No Longer Registered

New Nine Inch Nails CD: Year Zero

Post by MrHope » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:30 pm

So what do you think of the new Nine Inch Nails CD: Year Zero ?

XeemEyexoX

Post by XeemEyexoX » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:58 pm

The Great Destroyer... oh that crazy instrumentation! it makes me smile
Live Love XeemEyexoX
www.xeemeyexox.com

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:14 pm

anybody knows which song is scheduled to be the first video ?

Capital G is poppy and catchy. I vote for this one.

oberheim
Gear: Lots of Korg's, Kawai's, Roland's, Akai's and Emu's. Plus a Yamaha, Nord and Oberheim.

Post by oberheim » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:34 pm

I like "Vessel". Interested to see if Trent can do that live!
[RO] SH101, D550, D-110 JV1080, MKS70, S750, S550 [KW] K1r, K5m, R-50 [AK] S700, S1100, [EMU] ESI32, ESI2000, Proteus 1 [KRG] EX800, X5dr, M3r, Wavestation SR, P3, Symphony, DW6000, DSS1, DS-8, Poly61, S3, DDD1, [NV] A Station, [OB] Matrix1000, [NRD] MicroMod, [YAM] TX7

West_Berliner
Gear: Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Virus C, Machinedrum SPS-1
Band: musique concrete

Post by West_Berliner » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:04 pm

Year Zero is pretty good! It's superior to With Teeth in my opinion...I love Nine Inch Nails, and I really disliked With Teeth (with the exception of a few tracks). Maybe I was expecting another "The Fragile" but still, I thought With Teeth was generally pretty c**p. Way too mainstream sounding.
Year Zero is much more interesting, and I'm enjoying all the synth sounds (and a lot of Metasonix as well as OhmForce plugins!) although certain types of drum sounds are repeated throughout the album (God Given and Zero Sum use the same bass drum and delay effect...) which is a little meh, but otherwise some really cool ideas...not much of a fan of Capital G though, and it's not because of the lyrics, its just the song itself musically that I'm not feeling...

I hope they come around my part of Canada for this album so I can see them live.
"Destruction is not negative. you must destroy to build" - Blixa Bargeld

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Another sonic departure. Which is a good thing. (especially after with teeth :) )
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:25 pm

why isnt there an option for "is f**k kick a*s"?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:58 am

Havent got the CD but every song Ive heard off it (and With Teeth) totally sucks. The Fragile had some excellent moments (were in this together, just like you imagined) but there was a heap of filler on it. Downward Spiral (with a little audio editing taking out the guitar solos in Ruiner and The Becoming and splicing Reptile into one whole track) was much more consistent, as was Pretty Hate Machine.

CONCLUSION: As NIN got less cybernetic and more organic, they sucked more. Year Zero may have tons of modular synth on it, but it feels TOO organic. And its certainly too minimalistic. GOD DAMMIT TRENT, ditch the acoustic, stripped down bullshit and get back to making what you are brilliant at: Skinny Puppy with poppy songwriting!
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:32 am

I remember Nettwerk, SP's label at the time wanted SP to sound like NIN did back in 94.

You know what though, I think this day and age things are getting really tough for musicians and bands. Either sell out or die almost.

So I think the most important thing is not whether we like, but if Trent is really happy making it.

But with that said, I wouldn't mind at all if Trent went back to the Pretty Hate Machine style. His synth lines in that were just awesome. And I actually think that it could form an Industrial mainstream genre, something like Hip Hop now a days. It's just everyone's abandoned that style for some reason. I don't know why because that was probably the most successful album in Industrial history.

bigbadbarns

Post by bigbadbarns » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:15 am

Jexus wrote:anybody knows which song is scheduled to be the first video ?

Capital G is poppy and catchy. I vote for this one.
The survivalism video was released a month or two ago. Check yearzero.nin.com.

Also...

http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=25536

but whatever.

MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:50 pm

The whole "rock" thing i'm just not feeling. I did feel it in The Fragile, but With Teeth and Year Zero are totally forgettable except for a few tracks. The Fragile was a masterpiece. I was expecting something more electronic sounding with Year Zero, and with not so much distorted drum sounds--a lot of the tracks seem too noisy. 2 lemons in a row is a bad sign.

PrettyHateMachine

Post by PrettyHateMachine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:06 pm

I Think it kicks a*s !

Much better than With Teeth (wich only seemed like a record who showed that he still was up and running)

It's nice to see the whole ARG-campaign and all the boundaries Trent constantly pushes forward. It,s nice to see an artist try something different. And thats probably why i like NIN so much, Trent have always been inventing and refining stuff, he keeps stuff interesting and he dares to try something different.

And to all naysayers who only like the Fragile... Come on ! Would you really like Trent to keep doing the same record for another 10 years ? Isn't it nice to see him come up with something new instead. And for the record, I love the Fragile.

...one more thing, if you like the fragile, be shure to check out the "Still" disc he released as a bonus cd on "And all that could have been". It,s great !

Excuse all my spelling problems !
Cheers !
Roland SH-7 . EMU Emax SE-HD-Rack . incomming = Nord Modular, Waldorf Microwave 2

hey_timj

Post by hey_timj » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm

remember..... "mother nature is a w***e!" hehehe
fender rhodes, moog little phatty, moogerfooger mf-103, mf-105, all going into ableton live 6

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:15 pm

Love it's sound but think it's concept has been done to death and hated it lyrically. :?

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:31 pm

Album of the year so far. Love it.