New Nine Inch Nails CD: Year Zero

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

The new CD...

...is great
56%
...is so-so
24%
...is disappointing
20%

Total votes: 55

fierywater
Gear: Software you probably don't care much about :)

Post by fierywater » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:06 pm

supermel74 wrote:Album of the year so far. Love it.
Agreed.

I didn't know it was possible for rock artists to get older and still kick a*s nowadays. This album definitely makes up for any weaknesses that With Teeth had.

MarkShovel

Sound uses

Post by MarkShovel » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Very interesting arrangements based off non melodic/atonal sounds. Trent's voice is very expressive. The mix is killer, you can hear him whisper some of the vocal lines very clearly.

Mark
A6 2 V-Synths VC-1 VC-2
OB-Xa OB-8 two Matrix-6 Matrix-1000 DX
Fantom X8 Waldorf uWAVE XT
JD-800 JP-8000 XP-50 Juno-60
JX-10 2 JX-8P's w/ 1 PG-800
2 JX3P's w/ 2 PG-200s
Moog Opus-3 Boss DR-770
21 guitars 3 Marshalls

lovedroid
Gear: MEK, LP, uQ, P6, BS, SQ80, UF8, WS, Omen6, Sonar
Band: New Modern Angels

Post by lovedroid » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:33 pm

Just bought it today and after 1½ plays I must say that I'm really pleased. I'm not a die-hard NiN fan, I often like only parts of his records, but this is actually kind of great. :)

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:14 pm

hey man please dont make no sound
take a look around

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:01 pm

It's good to see trent reznor came out with another album.
with teeth was not as good as alot of nin's other stuff but i thought that it still had some good songs on it.
Year Zero is more synth sounding with the drums and synths in general
i read that with teeth the all drums were recorded acoustically
so i was glad to here some synth drums on year zero

Year Zero is great .Trent Reznors rocks!

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:04 pm

[moving out]
Last edited by Jexus on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

primative

Post by primative » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:41 pm

Trent was my first inkling into the world of synths(yeah, just 25 here), so I tend to focus more on the inhuman/ethereal soundscapes than the music itself as an overall product with Year 0. I've come to conclude that this album is both his greatest feat of production/overall-synthfreak-tweakishness, and weakest yet as far as vocals, both in terms of his previous impressive proccessing and in the apparent lack of effort in the lyrics in first With Teeth, and now, unfortunately, Year 0. This seems like the kind of production that in the past would have launched a Trent protege to stardom, like Prick, Filter, or Manson.
Whenever people agree with me I tend to feel I must be wrong.

realtrance

Post by realtrance » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:50 am

I like it, but Trent at his best is starting to become a parody of himself. There's only so much totally straight-faced, Grande Guignol angst anyone can put out without starting to look ludicrously melodramatic after awhile; I think Trent would be best off doing a little, like Tom Waits, to inject a bit more humor and perspective into the purveyance of his musical persona, to avoid turning one-dimensional over time. I mean, I have my moments where I wish the aliens would come and wash all of disappointing failed humanity away, too, but it's not my entire way of life the way it appears to be on Year Zero for Trent (I know, it's fiction, but still, man....). The album is great though for being one of the few commercial ventures that continues to make noise-based music interesting to listen to, at that level I have no complaints. I hear a lot of NI Reaktor on the album, too, which is a good thing. :)

T3rtium_Quid

Post by T3rtium_Quid » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:07 am

Joey wrote:why isnt there an option for "is f**k kick a*s"?
Personally, I was wondering why there wasn't an option for "who gives a rat's a*s?" myself.
IMO Trent Reznor is to electronic music like Quentin Tarantino is to film... Hack-city.

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:04 pm

where's the option for "would be f**k awesome if trent didn't sing like a whiny b***h"?

justinjbrown

Post by justinjbrown » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:33 pm

divineaudio wrote:where's the option for "would be f**k awesome if trent didn't sing like a whiny b***h"?
thats just part of the charm. I think the best way to judge NIN is to look at his body of work as a whole...

His whole catalog is an ebb and flow of suck and greatness.
www.opticecho.com/lostChord.html
"subvert normality, destroy, kill ALL hippies..."

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:48 pm

[moving out]
Last edited by Jexus on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justinjbrown

Post by justinjbrown » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:06 pm

Jexus wrote:There are people who hate Korn because they didn't make anymore music like life is peachy and korn.
Then There are people who hate Korn because they stopped making music like follow the leader and issues.
And there are people who hate NIN after TDS.
And there are...

And there's even more bullshit in the world.
I can't agree more. Personally, I like the way he has slightly changed the lyrical/vocal presentation...and I really don't mind the whole solipistic/questioning the nature of reality vibe that permeates most of his stuff...even in with teeth(which wasn't nearly as bad as people claim)...

I think the thing that really stifles him is his desire to pursue pop success. Granted he can write some kick a*s pop tunes. Who knows what lurks on his hard drives though, perhaps some of the greatest music ever that will never be heard.
www.opticecho.com/lostChord.html
"subvert normality, destroy, kill ALL hippies..."

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:19 pm

Andy_X69 wrote:CONCLUSION: As NIN got less cybernetic and more organic, they sucked more. Year Zero may have tons of modular synth on it, but it feels TOO organic. And its certainly too minimalistic. GOD DAMMIT TRENT, ditch the acoustic, stripped down bullshit and get back to making what you are brilliant at: Skinny Puppy with poppy songwriting!
I have to agree. In my opinion....with the exception of PHM and some of TDS most of the stuff NIN puts out has too much of a guitar rock feel for me. It's like alternarock with a drum machine and doesn't really do much for me. Plus I find his voice extremely annoying.

fierywater
Gear: Software you probably don't care much about :)

Post by fierywater » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:19 am

Andy_X69 wrote:CONCLUSION: As NIN got less cybernetic and more organic, they sucked more. Year Zero may have tons of modular synth on it, but it feels TOO organic. And its certainly too minimalistic. GOD DAMMIT TRENT, ditch the acoustic, stripped down bullshit and get back to making what you are brilliant at: Skinny Puppy with poppy songwriting!
Look, I'm not going to argue that NIN is better when it's more electronic, but what exactly is organic about anything on Year Zero? The whole thing is distorted bit-crunched drum machines and synths with very little guitar.