New Nine Inch Nails CD: Year Zero

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

The new CD...

...is great
56%
...is so-so
24%
...is disappointing
20%

Total votes: 55

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:33 am

viscerallove wrote:and i believe jonkull is talking about the newer s**t genre of terror ebm (or apparently aggrotech). its like ebm, BUT THEY ARE ALL BLOODY AND TERRIFYING AHHHH!!

just more cookiecutter bullshit. if you have an Access Virus, some corn syrup and food coloring, and a lack of creativity, you can do it too!

oh and dont forget the tube distortion for your oontz oontz oontz. thats what makes it scary! :roll:
combichrist anyone? :roll:

i think too many people confuse industrial music with dance music. not to say that you can't/shouldn't dance to industrial, or even that i'm exempt from the club scene - drinking and dancing the night away, but there is a distinction here. early industrial bands like tg and puppy were satirizing pop music in the 70's and 80's and the new breed of "industrial" acts seem to embrace pop as a method of selling albums. i think trent reznor had a hand in making these people believe that they can get rich by combining pop sensibility with dark brooding synth lines and distorted drums. and for the most part, this seems to be true. teen angst sells.

now where's that damn arpeggio button? :lol:
Last edited by divineaudio on Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:41 am

viscerallove wrote:oh and dont forget the tube distortion for your oontz oontz oontz.
I have never seen that typed before, good times. :D

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Tue May 01, 2007 12:20 am

whoa, whats this? <cool robin finck's guitarwork>

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue May 01, 2007 2:41 am

T3rtium_Quid wrote:
bigbadbarns wrote:
T3rtium_Quid wrote: IMO Trent Reznor is to electronic music like Quentin Tarantino is to film... Hack-city.
I don't think I will ever understand that comment.
Okay, so I was a little bombed when I wrote that... But critics and the masses eat both of their "work" up with a spoon, heralding them as ground-breaking and innovative. In my opinon, they just rehash (or dare I say rip-off) stuff that has been done before, and better at that.

What I felt was an era of truly innovative electronic music died when Pretty Hate Machine was released and readily available in shopping malls. With it, Trent spread his special brand of Industrial™ music across the globe and basically destroyed a scene. Again, this is just my opinion.
i'll agree with you, but i will throw in the movie "doom generation" for the pot as well.

up above it or down in it or whatever is a direct rip off of a 23 skidoo song...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Tue May 01, 2007 2:56 am

T3rtium_Quid wrote: Okay, so I was a little bombed when I wrote that... But critics and the masses eat both of their "work" up with a spoon, heralding them as ground-breaking and innovative.
Critics don't eat Trent's music up with a spoon. Check your local copy of Wire mag to see if it's even reviewed.
virb.com/ookpikk

MarkShovel

Year Zero

Post by MarkShovel » Tue May 01, 2007 2:44 pm

I have now listened to the complete disc about six times. I feel this is a revolutionary step in sounds that reminds me of when Peter Gabrial's "Security" was released.

The modular synth guys must be digging the sounds of the recording. This is a killer implementation of sounds.

Mark
A6 2 V-Synths VC-1 VC-2
OB-Xa OB-8 two Matrix-6 Matrix-1000 DX
Fantom X8 Waldorf uWAVE XT
JD-800 JP-8000 XP-50 Juno-60
JX-10 2 JX-8P's w/ 1 PG-800
2 JX3P's w/ 2 PG-200s
Moog Opus-3 Boss DR-770
21 guitars 3 Marshalls

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue May 01, 2007 5:39 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
T3rtium_Quid wrote:
bigbadbarns wrote: I don't think I will ever understand that comment.
Okay, so I was a little bombed when I wrote that... But critics and the masses eat both of their "work" up with a spoon, heralding them as ground-breaking and innovative. In my opinon, they just rehash (or dare I say rip-off) stuff that has been done before, and better at that.

What I felt was an era of truly innovative electronic music died when Pretty Hate Machine was released and readily available in shopping malls. With it, Trent spread his special brand of Industrial™ music across the globe and basically destroyed a scene. Again, this is just my opinion.
i'll agree with you, but i will throw in the movie "doom generation" for the pot as well.

up above it or down in it or whatever is a direct rip off of a 23 skidoo song...
I always thought "down it" took alot of s**t for being a rip off of skinny puppy's "dig it". Although this comparison was kind of pointless due to the fact that the song was ment to be a dribute to "dig it" Honestly I don't really care if its a rip off, due to the fact that I see it as being one of his weakest songs. As a whole I think pretty hate machine is highly overated, not saying its terrible mind you, and this is coming from a Nine Inch Nails fan. I like year zero though its a much stronger outing than With Teeth, even though I liked the previous album also
:oops:
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

hey_timj

Post by hey_timj » Tue May 01, 2007 6:46 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
T3rtium_Quid wrote: Okay, so I was a little bombed when I wrote that... But critics and the masses eat both of their "work" up with a spoon, heralding them as ground-breaking and innovative.
Critics don't eat Trent's music up with a spoon. Check your local copy of Wire mag to see if it's even reviewed.
the wire doesn't review mainstream stuff, maybe if reznor collaborated with phillip glass and/or some mongolian chamber orchestra he'd get in there.

nine inch nails is designed for sales, not critical credibility.
fender rhodes, moog little phatty, moogerfooger mf-103, mf-105, all going into ableton live 6

fierywater
Gear: Software you probably don't care much about :)

Post by fierywater » Tue May 01, 2007 6:56 pm

hey_timj wrote:nine inch nails is designed for sales, not critical credibility.
I'm pretty sure that would be news to Reznor. I mean, The Fragile was such a radio-friendly album with tons of pop hits.

hey_timj

Post by hey_timj » Tue May 01, 2007 7:27 pm

fierywater wrote:
I'm pretty sure that would be news to Reznor. I mean, The Fragile was such a radio-friendly album with tons of pop hits.
i dunno... there's a difference between making an inventive, non-mainstream album and making an album that just bombs commercially.
fender rhodes, moog little phatty, moogerfooger mf-103, mf-105, all going into ableton live 6

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue May 01, 2007 9:36 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:
I always thought "down it" took alot of s**t for being a rip off of skinny puppy's "dig it". Although this comparison was kind of pointless due to the fact that the song was ment to be a dribute to "dig it" Honestly I don't really care if its a rip off, due to the fact that I see it as being one of his weakest songs. As a whole I think pretty hate machine is highly overated, not saying its terrible mind you, and this is coming from a Nine Inch Nails fan. I like year zero though its a much stronger outing than With Teeth, even though I liked the previous album also
:oops:
i dont know much about skuppy, i just own back and forth3 and bites and remission. never cared for too dark, last rights, etc.

while i cant attest to reznor's commitment to art or money or whatever, i can say that lyrically, i find him to be weak writer. he seems like a studio wizard and i can respect that, but as a songwriter he doesnt impress me. he didnt when i was 14 and all my friends liked him and he doesnt now. like nirvana, and a lot of these other 'break through' artists, he seems to merely be a sum of his influences, which i guess most people could be guilty of.

his voice is pure recycled jim thirwell except minus the irony, sarcam, wit, etc. i never could stand that angsty whiny lyric/harsh but groovy music mix. coincidentally, my favorite reznor song is 'suck' by pigface. that whole album is pretty bad a*s.

of course, you could ignore me. i am probably just one of those 'industrial snobs' that liked it when people were innovative - hula, nocturnal emissions, cop shoot cop, swans, (some) coil, etc...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Tue May 01, 2007 10:43 pm

hey_timj wrote:
fierywater wrote:
i dunno... there's a difference between making an inventive, non-mainstream album and making an album that just bombs commercially.
You clearly haven't listened to the fragile much.
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed May 02, 2007 1:08 am

mistercooper wrote:
hey_timj wrote:
fierywater wrote:I'm pretty sure that would be news to Reznor. I mean, The Fragile was such a radio-friendly album with tons of pop hits.
You clearly haven't listened to the fragile much.
I've listened to it enough to know it's not particularly good. And I used to be so enthusiastic about NIN that I was there the first morning it could be bought in stores. About 8 months after it came out I realised that I had out-grown old Trent and his 30yo teenage angst and sold all my Halos. Same day I sold my Tool albums.
virb.com/ookpikk

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Wed May 02, 2007 1:22 am

Just my opinion but I always thought his lyrics sounded like poetry a depressed high school student. Maybe I'm too old to relate to it. I think my tolerance for NIN would be a little higher if he would stick to programming synths and writing music and get a partner to write lyrics and sing.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed May 02, 2007 2:15 am

tallowwaters wrote:
nuketifromorbit wrote:
i dont know much about skuppy, i just own back and forth3 and bites and remission. never cared for too dark, last rights, etc.

while i cant attest to reznor's commitment to art or money or whatever, i can say that lyrically, i find him to be weak writer. he seems like a studio wizard and i can respect that, but as a songwriter he doesnt impress me. he didnt when i was 14 and all my friends liked him and he doesnt now. like nirvana, and a lot of these other 'break through' artists, he seems to merely be a sum of his influences, which i guess most people could be guilty of.

his voice is pure recycled jim thirwell except minus the irony, sarcam, wit, etc. i never could stand that angsty whiny lyric/harsh but groovy music mix. coincidentally, my favorite reznor song is 'suck' by pigface. that whole album is pretty bad a*s.

of course, you could ignore me. i am probably just one of those 'industrial snobs' that liked it when people were innovative - hula, nocturnal emissions, cop shoot cop, swans, (some) coil, etc...
No don't worry about offending me or anything, I value your opinion and it seems well grounded. Reznor's lyrics are usually bad and I'd be foolish to deny it. Keep in mind your being critical of Nine Inch Nails, and not me personally.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.