New Nine Inch Nails CD: Year Zero

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

The new CD...

...is great
56%
...is so-so
24%
...is disappointing
20%

Total votes: 55

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Fri May 11, 2007 2:39 pm

I just got Year Zero last night, and listened to about half of it on the way to work this morning. Rather than dis/defend TR, I’ll just share my thoughts on what I’ve heard so far:

I think the concept album angle is great – does anyone remember the last time a concept album with a sci-fi angle was released in mainstream music? I also think this really helps TR, because yes – the whole angst-ridden lyrics thing was getting pretty tired. The lyrics are still angst-ridden, but at least there’s a thematic drive there that’s keeping my interest.

I’m really digging the use of noise/circuit bend sounding stuff. Essentially where the “guitar solo” would be in a standard rock song, TR puts in a noise solo. I think it works.

I’m getting into the songs pretty easily – and maybe that’s because it seems that many of them are slight variations on previous NIN tunes. There seems to be some standard patterns that TR always falls back on. Good songwriting? Probably not. But as long as I can enjoy it for what it is, I’m happy with it.

I know it’s cheezy, but I loved the way the CD changes color.

cheers,
ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:29 pm

i just bought a ton of CDs and this was one of them. i also bought with teeth at the same time. on first listen, i didnt like with teeth much. sometimes it takes a couple listens to change my mind. but on the other hand, i immediately thought year zero was excellent. much better songs and feel, IMO. i only got around 4 songs into it til my car ride was over so im going to have to pick up where i left off on the next trip....

i also finally bought smashing pumpkin's "mellon collie and the infinite sadness". what am i, 12 years late on that one?! :) theres some very well done subtle synth stuff (noises and processing) on there - arp 2600 done by famous producer flood. but you wouldnt buy it if you were looking for a synth album. i really like this double album and recommend it to any pop/rock fan. i also still recommend billy corgan's thefutureembrace, which has a lot more synth in it.

mini

ps right now im listening to mika... big girls, you are beautiful. this song cracks me up!
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:53 am

I think it's great. There's not a song on the whole CD that I don't like. My favorite tune, by far, is Me I'm not. Total freakin' sick-a*s acid death groove at the perfect BPM. Mega sub bass, with these killer percolating synth bleeps and bloops dancing all around in between speakers in the mix. Total sound collage. I've listened to it litterally hundreds of times, and I am still discovering new noises in various parts. Then, at the end, Trent goes into the wicked synth distortion solo that sounds like nails on a chalkboard while the pumping bass drops out for just a few measures then comes back in. f**k rad. I love this song.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:45 pm

i like the first few nin albums (phm/broken/fixed/dspiral) so much more than the last three... they just don't resonate with any pop magic for me. plus, i bought Year Zero the day i bought the Cansei De Ser Sexy album which is so full of fresh energy, it lays the nin effort to waste in my ears.

related to the flood thread... i picked up the new flood/moulder produced Killers album, pretty good.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:35 pm

xpander wrote: the Cansei De Ser Sexy album which is so full of fresh energy, it lays the nin effort to waste in my ears.
Agree wholeheartedly...great stuff that CSS is....really does put 99 out of 100 new records to shame and their playing isn't even that impressive....just fun, appealing music that "throws forward" as well as back.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:07 am

shaft9000 wrote:
xpander wrote: the Cansei De Ser Sexy album which is so full of fresh energy, it lays the nin effort to waste in my ears.
Agree wholeheartedly...great stuff that CSS is....really does put 99 out of 100 new records to shame and their playing isn't even that impressive....just fun, appealing music that "throws forward" as well as back.
yeah... i saw CSS perform in SF at a late, late, late afterparty concert two weeks ago, they are a rare presence.

i also saw nin back in 94 on one of the warm up concerts they did here prior to the big downward spiral tour, trent reznor hurled his mic stand backwards and it hit chris vrenna in the head, so they stopped the concert after about 3 minutes... several minutes later trent reznor comes out and apologizes for being such an asshole, it was funny stuff. that performance was memorialized in the Musician magazine from the era.