Please give some feedback on my demo reel...

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
i_watch_stars

Please give some feedback on my demo reel...

Post by i_watch_stars » Sat May 26, 2007 10:15 am

So I am getting ready to send this demo reel off to get professionally mastered, and would just like some honest feedback on it before I spend the couple hundred dollars. The demo reel is a montage, and its meant for video games, as I hope to be a v-game music composer.

New demo

I've been here at VSE for a little bit now, so don't think I'm just stopping by and doing some kind of BSP...I will give feedback for any other artist that gives me some feedback as a sign of gratitude. Its not super long, around 6 mins, but you don't have to listen to all of it! Also, for all you synth lovers here there are a TON of SYNTHS in this demo!!!

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sun May 27, 2007 3:40 am

this is why I have the music off whn play video games
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Sun May 27, 2007 3:48 am

wiss wrote:this is why I have the music off whn play video games
Common man...what was the point of that comment? If you thought it sucked, at least say whats wrong with it....or are you saying it is comparable to the music you hear in video games?

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun May 27, 2007 3:59 am

wiss wrote:this is why I have the music off whn play video games
No offence, but this was totally uncalled for. :!: If you don't have anything productive to say then you really shouldn't bother in the first place. You may opt for Nintendo GM style music (yes, even the new Zelda still sounds like they are using a home keyboard in places) over the more modern Western styles but that doesn't give you the right to comment without constructive criticism.

Anyway, I'll begin by saying I was listening through shitty headphones. Even though in my opinion the production can't be faulted and it was all tight.

As for it fitting into a video game context I could TOTALLY see it myself. It's not really anything different from what I'm used to hearing in some video games and if that's what you are going for you've succeeded. Sounds professional and I think if you had it mastered and sent away to various game companies you definitely have a chance of getting some work.

That montage is a good mix of styles too so it showcases the different moods you can provide. If I was looking for someone to do my music/audio work I certainly wouldn't have flagged you as a no chance. :)

So I'd say getting it mastered is a good idea. Let us know how you get on - I've played a lot of games in my life...old and new...and you've done a good job. Best of luck with getting your stuff heard. :thumbup:

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sun May 27, 2007 7:55 am

its sounds like every other video game, I dont what else you woulld llike to know. it fits the mold
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

viscerallove

Post by viscerallove » Tue May 29, 2007 1:05 am

im with jambo on this, it sounds very professional and well mixed. could definitely see some of this stuff fitting into video games. first 3 reminded me of something in a FPS, one of them sounded like it could be in DDR, there were some rpg type tracks and the last one made me want to play ecco the dolphin or some type of deep sea exploration game. good work man.
my music

Clavia Nord Lead
Korg Poly 800
Korg DSS-1
Oberheim Matrix-6
Novation KS 4
Roland V-Synth

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Tue May 29, 2007 5:37 am

It would def. fit right in with most more scifi video games. I say go for it. Its not my fav type of music, but it sounds very well done.
the cheese stands alone

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Tue May 29, 2007 8:16 am

Thanks for the feedback guys...Just wanted to make sure nothing was off because I've been in seclusion for about 1.5 years now working on my music without any feedback.

I'm going through with the mastering, which I'm kinda nervous about because I've never done this before and I'm not sure of the benefit...210$ isn't exactly pocket change.

Its funny to me that whats being said is "it fits the mold", because mainly what I'm hearing in v-games these days (especially American) is John Williams-like orchestral scores. I haven't heard psytrance or many other techno in video games nowadays...h**l...I would kill to hear some music like that in a v-game! I'm really motivated to bring back some good electronic music into v-games...like back in the day when I used to rock out the the Sega's 4 op FM chip!

Thanks again...

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Tue May 29, 2007 9:41 am

i think a big thing in v-game sound tracking these days... is that you are gonna have to make the music go with whats happening on screen. I've seen alot of games with evolving music lately, whether its a puzzle game or an FPS.
the cheese stands alone

mr_m0nks

Post by mr_m0nks » Tue May 29, 2007 5:20 pm

hi there, just listening to the demo, it reminds me more of japanese video games than american, maybe the more electronic parts of the MGS soundtracks and ZOE (and probably other mech related games too)

the quasi medival piece in the middle reminded me a little of the clockwork orange soundtrack not sure it would work in a true historical game though

as a whole i think its very good, would suit a great number of genres but its the sci-fi textures which stick out these would greatly suit an elite type space exploration game

great stuf
Alesis Ion, Korg Poly800II, Akai S1000, CommodoreC64, Nintendo Gameboy and various software Synths.
http://www.myspace.com/thesilentjihad

Listening to far to much Yazoo

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:02 pm

good job, reminds me of the playstation racing soundtracks in the late 90s.
i hear blade runner and speed racer having a brew at an after-hours pub that plays cybertrance.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Wed May 30, 2007 4:13 am

shaft9000 wrote:good job, reminds me of the playstation racing soundtracks in the late 90s.
i hear blade runner and speed racer having a brew at an after-hours pub that plays cybertrance.
You know what cybertrance is!!?!?!? I have a new respect for you Shaft!
think a big thing in v-game sound tracking these days... is that you are gonna have to make the music go with whats happening on screen. I've seen alot of games with evolving music lately, whether its a puzzle game or an FPS.
This is true. This worries me though as a composer for hire because I simply don't operate this way musically...when I compose I compose SONGS...not background ambience that switches to a minor key when the player sees an enemy. I think the song needs a return to video games, too much stuff is turning into background music these days. I remember as a 10 year old going into "song mode" in nearly every game that had one on my Sega and rocking out...nowadays there hardly seem to be any recognizable songs, at least not that I'm aware of.

Anyway thank you all...your honest opinion means a lot to me. I will work on returning feedback to all of you who haven't recieved any.

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Wed May 30, 2007 9:46 am

well I like when the music isn't background music, but when its present and pushing the player and evolving with he actions only to fuel a more furious gaming experience. I'm sure its hard to do, I would say you just make the music, and leave it up to the programmers to sync it :):)
the cheese stands alone

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Wed May 30, 2007 6:11 pm

Very impressive and well suited to the video game market.

The first one I wasn't so keen on, only cos. I'm an old fart :wink: (just too much going on/distortion in it for me) but all the others I thought where very good, some excellent. Well done.