Me & My Tenori-On Videos

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
sequence

Post by sequence » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:38 pm

AlanC wrote:Not really. I'd downloaded the manuals before I bought it so I had a pretty good idea of what the limitations were so I certainly wasn't expecting to be getting something with the capabilities of the Genoqs Octopus at a fraction of the price.

I haven't really owned it long enough to be certain just how useful it'll be but I liked the idea of an interactive hardware step-time sequencer, and within it's limitations I'm having a lot of fun playing with it, plus it's got me doing stuff that I'd never do with a computer or any of the sequencers / arpeggiators built into my synths.

The great thing about it is that it's very quick and easy to use - press the L/R function buttons and the display immediately shows you what you're modifying and the current settings, but in a very short time you get used to where everything is and you can flip round the layers and blocks, change sounds and transpose stuff without having to think about it.

Right at the moment it's unique. Hand made. I know that Music Thing review derided the build quality, but I'd have said it's pretty well made - the case is magnesium alloy, not silvered plastic, and everything is decently finished and feels solid.

Hmm, ask me again in a couple of months. :lol: Let's see if I'm still using it!
well, two months later, are you still using it or did yr interest wane?
twentyfirst century fizMO man

AlanC

Post by AlanC » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:12 pm

Resurrection of a dead thread :shock: and just when I'm taking a look in the forum as well....

Yes I am still using it, although not as heavily as when I first got it. I tend to pick it up and doodle with it when I can't be bothered with the synths or when I'm looking for ideas for loops and sequences.

Still haven't got around to hooking it up to the Motif XS6 via MIDI to see just how much I can do with the combination, though. I'd like to see if I can turn some of the sequences I've created into Motif patterns.

And still no regrets about buying it - plus I continue to get a laugh out of the "WTF is that?!?" reaction it tends to inspire! :D

PLP
Gear: OB-8, DSI Tempest, Virus TI2, Korg VolcaBass, Nord Lead 2X

Re:

Post by PLP » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:39 pm

shaft9000 wrote:looks like a nice educational tool for teens or starters. the 1/8" headphone out and onbord sounds are the deal-killer, though.

I'd love to see Yamaha make this with just MIDI up the wazoo....maybe a USB jack to sequence VSTs and simplify data dumps...but LEAVE OUT the shoddy audio implementation - those are vast waters to be wading into for a visually-enhanced control device.

the reliability of touch-screens is a bit worrying, though. Is that fiber-optic or LED?
Dude your avatar is way to distracting... LOL
Not your typical Dj http://www.djpuzzle.com