Prefuse 73

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Prefuse 73

Post by thestreets » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Any fans of this dude? He's rediculous. His music makes no sense, but I love it. Going to see him in Boston on the 27th. Phsyched.

www.myspace.com/prefusion1973

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:22 pm

Yeah, I like his stuff... more of the older stuff than the newer stuff though.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:13 am

I enjoy his work. He is def up there with Dj Krush for me. I might catch him when he comes my way else I hope he plays Coachella. That new class of 73 bells sounds good. The School of Seven Bells sound real good and are opening up so I think I will try harder to make sure iam there.

I like how some of his compositions sound like they have A.D.D, as though 1 track is several but still is 1 track. The drums on his tracks are great and unignorable. He has style thats for sure.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:19 pm

I feel like his sounds is just so original. Attention Defeceit Disorder is definatly a good way to describe his music. Rather than having a straightforward, obvious groove (which I do in my hip hop tracks) he's able to create something crazy that still manages to have flow. That takes talent. I've tried to make songs sound like his and they either come off as very cohesive or completely insane. He finds a good balance in his tracks.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:00 am

Saw Prefuse last night at the Troubadour. Really good show I thought. He started out playing his newer ish, then the second half of the show was basically all classic stuff, which was rowdy, of course.

Cool stage setup. He had a live drummer, another dude playing a Lil Phatty and launching samples from an SP-404. Scott himself was playing live guitar, MPC2500 (of course), and he had an Oxygen 8 (I think) hooked up to a Virus TI desktop. Oh and he played a Nord Electro on a song or two. He also had a laptop behind the MPC, but I can't say exactly what it was doing. Maybe the MPC was just triggering samples on the lappie, who knows?

The main thing that stuck out to me was how sick the Virus TI sounded. Damn. He was doing all sorts of stuff with it. Sub-bass, lots of squelching FX-type s**t, and he was tweaking it to h**l. I was very impressed with it. I was already kinda drawn to it for some reason, but after seeing and hearing it in action like that, I'm afraid I may not be able to resist it. It also sounded fantastic in combo with the LP. In a lot of cases, both synths were playing in the bass range and they were blending together really well.

And the TI absolutely looked the business on stage, too. All those blinking lights. The desktops go for a pretty decent price on eBay these days, so, it might be my next purchase. 8)

Anyways, thought you guys might like some info. Cheers.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:45 pm

Sounds great TT... so they did pretty good versions of his songs live? I guess there were not faithful to the albums?

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:41 pm

JSRockit wrote:Sounds great TT... so they did pretty good versions of his songs live? I guess there were not faithful to the albums?
Hmm... I wouldn't say they were exactly faithful, but they were very, very close. Really good.

From what I could tell, which wasn't always easy, the Virus and Moog were recreating some of the synth sounds from the records, and the sound was very, very close to the original. Other times, I think the melodies were being played back from the samplers, while the synths were just used for FX-type sounds. It was sometimes hard to differentiate.

The drummer would play the original beats, and Scott would double him up on the MPC. This created a f**k huge drum sound! I think some of the vocals snippets were being played back from the MPC and some from the SP-404. It seemed to me that if it was say a little vocal sample (like from television or old records or wherever he gets all those little mini-VO type things) at the beginning or end of a track, it was just played back from the SP-404. But with like Diverse's cut-up rhymes on 'Plastic', those were played back on the MPC. At least, that is how it seemed. I could be off a little bit there.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:20 am

His "Savath & Savalas" project was great. Lots of breathy vocals and warm latin sounds.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:17 pm

I loved his show. Saw him late in november. Pretty accurate description of what was going on. With the combination of the live drummer and the MPC it had a great sound. I was skeptical at first when I saw the drummer setting up, but in the end he really makes things better than Guillermo and the other dude looking like they're checking their email on stage.

He had the whole place head knocking, it was great.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:20 pm

Oh and if you like school of 7 bells, listen to Ben's old band The Secret Machines. Absolutly amazing space rock...theres been a few threads about them. I was heartbroken when he left to pursue SVIB.

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:41 pm

thestreets wrote:...better than Guillermo and the other dude...
Just have to chuckle at that. For years he was just Scott, all of a sudden he moves to Spain and it's 'oh yeah, my first name is actually Guillermo'.

Umm... okay. :D

Btw- I'm not saying that's not his real name. He is of part Spanish and Cuban descent. I just find it funny when people all of a sudden 'change' their name. Especially when they go from something like 'Scott' to something with a very 'ethnic' twist like Guillermo. :lol:

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:21 am

s**t yeah thats quite the jump

From standard american name to whacky spanish name. It's a sick name though. You can roll your r's when you say it.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:18 pm

ThinkTanx wrote:But with like Diverse's cut-up rhymes on 'Plastic', those were played back on the MPC. At least, that is how it seemed. I could be off a little bit there.
Wow, that's stange...so they used pre-recorded vocals from the original songs... ?

ThinkTanx

Post by ThinkTanx » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:50 pm

JSRockit wrote:
ThinkTanx wrote:But with like Diverse's cut-up rhymes on 'Plastic', those were played back on the MPC. At least, that is how it seemed. I could be off a little bit there.
Wow, that's stange...so they used pre-recorded vocals from the original songs... ?
Yeah, but that was one of the only songs they did that had like a real vocal on it. They did some that had little samples here and there like 'Color of Tempo' for example. But yeah he just played them from the samplers.

Did you think he was gonna take everyone who ever had a guest appearance on his albums with him on tour?? :P :D

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:41 am

haha That'd be epic