100% MS-20

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

100% MS-20

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri May 16, 2008 11:49 pm

Here is the music I used in the MS-20 synth demo I'm working on.
I did it all on the MS-20 atop some rearranged live drum recordings.
As is my custom, there was no sequencing of the synth, it is all played in realtime and multitracked.

http://www.recondite-media.com/synthesi ... 0alone.mp3
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Sat May 17, 2008 12:03 am

sounds great. i like when the deep bass comes in. the live drums give it a great feel, too. the higher bleeps, are they played, modulated, or what? i think it's great when an all-synthesizer can sound good enough to stand on it's own. many time, just adding a guitar makes it sound so more better -- so much more organic. perhaps it's helped by the live playing, but this has that feel. is it for the one-synth challenge?

it's too short, though, and seems to lack structure. but maybe those were intentional choices. sometimes you ruin something by trying to adapt it to the standard rules of pop composition. it gets where it's going quickly, and once you are getting into it it's over.

-geoffrey smallsynth

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat May 17, 2008 12:14 am

smallsynth wrote:sounds great. i like when the deep bass comes in. the live drums give it a great feel, too. the higher bleeps, are they played, modulated, or what? i think it's great when an all-synthesizer can sound good enough to stand on it's own. many time, just adding a guitar makes it sound so more better -- so much more organic. perhaps it's helped by the live playing, but this has that feel. is it for the one-synth challenge?

it's too short, though, and seems to lack structure. but maybe those were intentional choices. sometimes you ruin something by trying to adapt it to the standard rules of pop composition. it gets where it's going quickly, and once you are getting into it it's over.

-geoffrey smallsynth
Thanks for listening, and for the critique! It is a bit aimless! My only intent was to generate some background music for the videos, so I really didn't take it anywhere developmentally!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat May 17, 2008 12:27 am

A sterling demo of the MS-20, Marc - a suitably burly bassline to it and some great melody lines.

The drums are what really set it off - as good as drum machines get, there's no substitute for the real thing. Are you the percussionist?
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sat May 17, 2008 12:55 am

Thats killer!
I remember you telling me this track was going to be somewhat obnoxious, and you're right! Albeit in a good way :)
I love the snakey lead parts, and agree that the drums really step it up.
for a second near the end, one of the drum fills reminds me of B.O.B by outkast.
Thanks for sharing, bring on the video! 8)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat May 17, 2008 1:52 am

Jack Spider wrote:A sterling demo of the MS-20, Marc - a suitably burly bassline to it and some great melody lines.

The drums are what really set it off - as good as drum machines get, there's no substitute for the real thing. Are you the percussionist?
Thank you, sir!
I should point out that the distortion in the bass line is provided by the MS-20 itself!

Yes, that's me on the drums. There has been some dicing of the original tracks, where pieces have been moved about... but it's all me... again, recorded with a single mic.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat May 17, 2008 1:53 am

monolith wrote:Thats killer!
I remember you telling me this track was going to be somewhat obnoxious, and you're right! Albeit in a good way :)
I love the snakey lead parts, and agree that the drums really step it up.
for a second near the end, one of the drum fills reminds me of B.O.B by outkast.
Thanks for sharing, bring on the video! 8)
Ha ha, thanks!
I've never heard that Outkast song!
The video is available on YouTube and Sonic State's new video site, which is still in Beta and which I accidentally outed too early!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat May 17, 2008 3:39 am

Can't help but think this sounds very Add-n-to-X... cool!
Do you even post on vse bro?

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue May 20, 2008 9:41 pm

WOW !

Really cool...amazing drum sound (only with one mic ? Then, i suppose you have a good drum set !). And the MS-20 fits perfectly to the style.

Some people have sometimes negative opinion about MS-20 bass sound (not so fast envelopes, etc...). I find the bass sound very convincing and fat sounding !

Thanks a lot for sharing this track :wink:
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue May 20, 2008 10:53 pm

Sounds great sir.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Fri May 23, 2008 2:25 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Can't help but think this sounds very Add-n-to-X... cool!
holy cow, i was thinking exactly the same thing, but the type of music was different.. but yeah, i think that stems from the actuall playing of such a nasty a*s sound, like an instrument, rather than sequencing, and IT ROCKED!
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri May 23, 2008 6:50 am

jayman wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:Can't help but think this sounds very Add-n-to-X... cool!
holy cow, i was thinking exactly the same thing, but the type of music was different.. but yeah, i think that stems from the actuall playing of such a nasty a*s sound, like an instrument, rather than sequencing, and IT ROCKED!
Thank you very much!

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri May 23, 2008 6:51 am

Oops.
Last edited by Automatic Gainsay on Fri May 23, 2008 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

brandonscott

Post by brandonscott » Sun May 25, 2008 7:08 pm

jesus christ. why would you end this amazing groove in such a manner? You teased my p***s :(

seriously; I want to hear more. I love the bass lines.
M-Audio MK-249C2, Yamaha PSS-680, Asus EEEPC 701 running FL Studio 8.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon May 26, 2008 1:32 am

brandonscott wrote:jesus christ. why would you end this amazing groove in such a manner? You teased my p***s :(

seriously; I want to hear more. I love the bass lines.
Hey, thank you!
I can't decide whether I should be glad to have teased your p***s, or sorry!
I wanted to hear more of it, too... but I had very limited time to do it, and it's original intent was to be about 30 seconds of video intro music!

The drums were intended for another song that I'm recording right now which is quite different.