Crystal Castles - Baptism

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Crystal Castles - Baptism

Post by optimus prime » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:24 pm

Well since I realised that I'll have to wait for God knows how long for CC to record and release Baptism, the most awesome kickass song in the world at the moment for me (only available through a couple of YouTube videos), I decided to make it myself. It kind of happened by accident, which is no wonder since I'm totally obsessed with them for a while now.

I made this based on what I heard from those YouTube clips, and probably differs to a lot from what can be heard on their live shows, but to me it's pretty much IT. A couple of things are lacking though: vocals (duh) and those FX sounds in the second verse (which is the most mind-blowing sound I've ever heard, and I'm not crazy enough to demystyfy it yet). It's also a little longer.

If you like Crystal Castles, feel free to turn that volume knob, considerably. I did that and it was totally like "CC are playing at my house, man!"

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?23jbwm404mn

I definitely feel weird about doing this, but then again, why the h**l not? It's all love.

ficusrock
Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Post by ficusrock » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:17 am

hahaha, that's awesome. nice work.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:27 am

san francisco a few days ago:

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:14 pm

Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:26 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Art thieves
good artists borrow; great artists steal. -picasso

optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Post by optimus prime » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:44 pm

xpander wrote:
I thought that was Lennon? I guess he stole that one. :lol:

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:14 pm

xpander wrote:
Yeah, maybe Crystal Castles should use Guernica for their next album cover, and claim they just found it in some book and didn't know whose it was. See how far that gets them. :roll:

I won't comment on their music, as I haven't heard enough of it to have a real opinion, but as someone who draws and designs things (posters and fliers) that occasionally end up in public, this story really burned me up. If I found out some random band was using my work on their t-shirts and record covers, without even giving me the chance to hear their stuff first and decide if it's something I'd want to be associated with (not to even mention the money aspect), I'd be furious. As musical artists themselves they ought to know better.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

linndrum9000

Post by linndrum9000 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 am

One of the surest tests [of the superiority or inferiority of a poet] is the way in which a poet borrows. Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole of feeling which is unique, utterly different than that from which it is torn; the bad poet throws it into something which has no cohesion. A good poet will usually borrow from authors remote in time, or alien in language, or diverse in interest.

Eliot, T.S., “Philip Massinger,” The Sacred Wood

I think this dude said it first.

optimus prime

Re: Crystal Castles - Baptism

Post by optimus prime » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 am

Just an update on the whole "CC steal art" case.

http://www.pileup.com/babyart/blog/?p=201

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:51 am

interesting! as a random sidenote, i'll be seeing both CC again... and Madonna 3 days later.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:24 pm

optimus prime wrote:Just an update on the whole "CC steal art" case.

http://www.pileup.com/babyart/blog/?p=201
Wow now that that's over what will the chiptuner's complain about? Can't really complain about the lobat thing because he himself brushed his shoulder off. Regardless of how much they hate CC they sure did a good job of advertising them and causing forum drama. :lol:

My friend saw CC live and said they weren't good. The album was ok but not very memorable. #-o I do remember somewhat liking the track "Magic Spells" though.
xpander wrote:i'll be seeing Madonna
Why? The year she played Coachella was the first time I saw Bear's in real life. You know the kind I am talking about. When they both walked out of the same port-o-potty everyone waiting in line just looked at each other like wtf. It was either because they were "bear's", they were barbarian sized or both. :laughing6:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

unklekarma
Band: unklekarma

Post by unklekarma » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:35 am

I like it - keep up the good work =D>
http://www.justastudio.net - The Playground (Project)
http://www.namoffers.com - Affiliate marketing (Work)

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:34 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Why? The year she played Coachella was the first time I saw Bear's in real life. You know the kind I am talking about. When they both walked out of the same port-o-potty everyone waiting in line just looked at each other like wtf. It was either because they were "bear's", they were barbarian sized or both. :laughing6:
at first i was scratching my head when i read this and then- "oh s**t, is he talking about that kind of bear??" mind you, i type this one day after the Folsom Street Fair, a bizarre experience not to be missed.

i've seen Madonna once before, you go for the audience, not to actually watch that retarded Disney show she puts on. a few friends wanted to go so i said wtf, i like seeing people dressed up like 1984 Madonna. but it's the most i've ever spent on a concert ticket ever -> :shock: and i mean by a huge margin! nothing like the paltry cheapo tickets i have for tomorrow's My Bloody Valentine show at the SF Design Center.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:23 am

xpander wrote:tickets i have for tomorrow's My Bloody Valentine show at the SF Design Center.
I don't get to go tonight to see them. No monies. It's sold out too. Dreams crushed. Unless they tour next year or play Coachella. Then dreams will be realized. :D
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

underkurtverism

Post by underkurtverism » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:36 am

optimus prime > Wonderful remake. just msg u on myspace about collaborating. check your msg box :)