Crockett's Theme - FM8 remix

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Crockett's Theme - FM8 remix

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:12 pm

15 x FM8 =
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Re: Crockett's Theme - FM8 remix

Post by premieklovn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Sounds good! The main lead coud be a bit more "sparkly" in my opinion, but all in all it sounds very nice.

haaplaj
Gear: Juno 60, Fantom S, TG 77, JD 990, JX 8P, Wavestation SR

Post by haaplaj » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Very nice!
You have some talent.

Maybe some more improvisation could be used on the lead and melody, now its perfect reproduction.
Rhythm turns group of sounds in to music.
https://soundcloud.com/haaplaj

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:56 pm

You're the FM8 GOD! ;)

Do you program all those sounds yourself?
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:09 pm

premieklovn:

:D

haaplai:

My main goal with these vids is not to really enhance the originals (tho I did add a grand piano in my Hymne FM8 remix :P), the goal here is purely to show the potential of FM8 and/or FM in general. More and more my FM8 sounds are being used in 'normal productions', simply because they keep up well among samplers. And I'm not just talking about metallic sounds, bells and simple pads. I've repeatedly used an FM8-sax (the one from my Stayin' Alive FM8 remake from last year) in a TV series I've done in the past months, for sexy/romantic scenes. If these vids gain popularity for FM8 then *maybe* we'll see a few bugfixes in the future (there're plenty).. *knocks wood*.

Synthaholic:

:D

Every sound is my own. Ye olde fact: factory presets usual suck, and FM8 is no exception. Well, maybe they didn't suck, but most were abstract sound that didn't have any design in advance. Because, despite the complex reputation FM has, if you tweak some envelopes, fiddle a bit with the operators and more, you can get some nice synthetic stuff from it. But it's just that: one of the billion abstract sounds you can make with FM8 just by fiddling with it, all equally nice but useless at the same time. I'd say: try to make a flute, a harp, cymbals, bassdrum (this gate-style bassdrum was not an accident, I simply made it in one go after I decided I wanted to remix this song), horns, trombones, dulcimers, etc. etc., that's -to me- what sets surface tweakers and sound designers apart.

As you may have guessed by now: I see the presets that come with FM8 as being made by surface tweakers.. :P

I've plans for more btw:
- Parsons' Pipeline (80% finished)
- Jarre's 2nd Rendezvous (the whole thing)
- Alan Menken's That's How You Know (from the Disney movie Enchanted)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:54 pm

Do you use FM8's more advanced features (multistage envelopes, filter operators, custom algorithms) in all your patches or do you stay with stuff that could be done on a DX7?

I bet you could do wonders with a real FM synth. A DX series, or since you do stuff for TV, do you have access to a Synclavier?

I own FM8 but I haven't used it in any of my music. I tend to go to my hardware stuff.

Have you ever considered selling your FM8 patches, offering soundbanks? Maybe even work up something with NI to include some of them in the presets...
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:23 pm

My patches are most definitely not compatible with anything else than FM8. My envelopes are usually not really multistage, but all typically use those curves. Sometimes I use the filter, not often tho. A lot of soundshaping comes from the effects section. In fact, I have sounds which sound completely different when the effects are shut down.. :P

As for real FM synths: The FS1r is a bit of a hackjob to program using the small pokey buttons, the DX7 was a bit of an epic failure imho, the SY77 was nice (and still has operator waveform phase which FM8 has not) but they're all no match to FM8 in terms of editing speed. I've done FM music for the computer for which you see the icon @ my name. The tracker I used for that had voice editing with all the parameters on screen. So, no pages, no complex stuff, just 4x 4bit envelopes, freq ratio and another few things per operator. It's here where I learnt FM, because -as per usual- the provided presets sucked, and on a system without DSP effects and such you'll need to tweak the FM sounds to soup up the sounds a bit.

I won't be selling FM8 patches, at least not separate. I had this idea that NI could be releasing a preset-FM8-machine or something. One could make some presets, upload or compile them into something, and compile a new VSTi, which is a small virtual instrument with an embedded FM8 where you can only choose a few presets and perhaps 4 knobs for global changes (decided by me). That way, one can sell preset machines where the actual sounds are still kinda protected (otherwise ppl steal your presets and resell them with 2 parameters changed). But I guess that won't be.. :P

Oh, and doing TV-stuff doesn't automatically mean 'Synclavier'. ^^
FM8 vids