"Squidstep" - Dub/Dubstep/Ambient

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

"Squidstep" - Dub/Dubstep/Ambient

Post by TrondC » Wed May 20, 2009 8:19 pm

been a while since I made anything new now, so after finishing my last exam on tuesday, making music is back on the agenda. I am currently making a plethora of new tracks, and this one chose to emerge first.

"Squidstep" is not quite Dub, not quite Dubstep and not quite Ambient, but I'd have to say it's a strange mix of those. oh, and throw in a little acid as well for that plastik feel.
Squidstep.jpg
Squidstep.jpg (34.91 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
gear breakdown:

ESX: all drums, percussions, the bassline and the twin peaks sample
Monomachine: four different pads over two patterns all run through a chorus fx machine on the Monomachine.
Acidlab: well, it should be an easy find run through the ESX for some panning, then stereo out to the RV-5 then DD-6
KP3: looper chopping up the drums at various parts

recorded as one go in Reaper. hopefully I'll get a recording session with a friend of mine who has a pretty decent home studio this summer :)

direct link to bandcamp, where you can download the thing (recommended, as both Myspace and Bandcamp players react less that good to bass frequencies)

also on myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/SiestaSubmarina

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: "Squidstep" - Dub/Dubstep/Ambient

Post by mome rath » Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm

that's an octopus!

like the congas but the drums overall don't do it for me. kaoss pads are gimmicky

nice work with the MnM and acidlab stuff, though
god elton can't you suck

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Post by TrondC » Wed May 20, 2009 11:19 pm

yup, my bad. I guess it's because the norwegian word (blekksprut, translates to Ink-squirt) covers both octopi and squid...

anyway, yeah, the drums are the weak link here. this is precicely why I want a MDUW so bad.. the ESX is tons of fun and the core for all my music, but at the end of the day the sounds I get out of it just can't stand out next to the Monomachine.
and on the kaoss pad, I think it does a very good job, i used properly. I am a fan of the stutter sound, but I think I overdid it a few places.

thanx for the comment, it all helps me to create better (hopefully) tracks in the future.

p.s: when I think of it, the drums on your "grubstep" track is precicely the sound I'm looking for.

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sat May 30, 2009 12:00 am

Personally, I think this is great as is. Reminds me of an updated version of Symbiosis. Definitely would classify this as ambient IDM, if thats not an oxymoron. its actually kinda inspiring to say the least. Diggin your other tracks as well!

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Post by TrondC » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:25 am

thank you, I've pretty much dedided I will make two versions: one with argessive, glitchy drums, and one softer version that is more laid back.. going home from a short vacation tomorrow, will try to get it down during the weekend (between work..)

electronicpulse
Gear: Oh... I'm going to have to do an inventory!

Post by electronicpulse » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:41 am

TrondC wrote:been a while since I made anything new now, so after finishing my last exam on tuesday, making music is back on the agenda. I am currently making a plethora of new tracks, and this one chose to emerge first.

"Squidstep" is not quite Dub, not quite Dubstep and not quite Ambient, but I'd have to say it's a strange mix of those. oh, and throw in a little acid as well for that plastik feel.
I love this track. The sound and headspace has enough space for you to do whatever is is you want (that is my problems at times) and think your style has a lot of potential Don't label it anything let... let ppl figure out what it is.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:15 pm

I like the pads and the swirling sloshes.
Maybe the clap is the one oddball thing in there.
I like when they were fx'ed out and far away.

Congas are nice too.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Post by TrondC » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:56 pm

yup, the clap needs changing. I'm trying out alternatives, a more laidback snare in it's place took away some of the raw edge to it. Alternatively I'll make several versions once I get to multitrack it. I was going to record the thing again this weekend, then came two extra work shifts so maybe next week..

thank you for listening :)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:25 pm

I listen to a lot of music on here, but I'm not always moved to comment, BUT if I don't comment how will the musician ever know I listened to their music? I can't just say something generic so I'm almost forced to critique a track. I hate that. My thoughts are mostly very minor concerns.

And somewhere there's a line between what I would do if I made that track and what you would do/did.
Your ear verse my ear.

So I really don't know the value of comments to be honest.

You ought to keep this thread alive by posting changes and updates.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com