Oberheim DMX / Juno 106 tracks on Youtube

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
Harlem Nights

Oberheim DMX / Juno 106 tracks on Youtube

Post by Harlem Nights » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:34 pm

Some of you may remember me from the LinnDrum and TR-808 films I posted earlier, thx for all kind responses

Now the Oberheim DMX, the third major drummachine of the 80s.... This time I started with some of my fav classic synth disco, and tried to recreate more synth parts using ONLY my JUno 106, to retain that 80s sound. This was interesting to do, learned me new depths of the good old 106 as the originals were all made with different synths of course

Drums again from Electribe ESX, this time filled with DMX samples, only using internal fx. No original tracks sampled, all recreated by ear again. This time tracks like New Order / Blue Monday - Fun fun / Happy Station - Chaka Khan / I feel for you.... Now in retrospect Trans-X / Living on Video may have been a different story, almost sure a TR-808 after all, instead of a modded DMX I read about. This version was done with DMX samples so it's in this video

Hope you enjoy!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Oberheim DMX / Juno 106 tracks on Youtube

Post by Z » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:20 am

Very nice. Excellent spound quality, editing and production. The added synth parts were a nice touch.

Keep it up! Look forward to more (I just subscribed).

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:12 am

Those patches are spot-on with the originals. Might not have known the difference! Really making me miss my 106. Love the light ball.

multipackvitamin

:):)

Post by multipackvitamin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:41 am

:):)
Last edited by multipackvitamin on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

electronicpulse
Gear: Oh... I'm going to have to do an inventory!

Post by electronicpulse » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 am

Harlem Nights wrote:Thanks a lot!!
Not that I means much from me (as I am no one, really) but I am *HIGHLY* impressed with this. You obviously know your gear very well, and you should be playing your own stuff live! What did you use for the visuals in the video? The trippy stuff?

Keep it up.

Harlem Nights

Post by Harlem Nights » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:59 pm

electronicpulse wrote:Not that I means much from me (as I am no one, really) but I am *HIGHLY* impressed with this. You obviously know your gear very well, and you should be playing your own stuff live! What did you use for the visuals in the video? The trippy stuff?

Keep it up.
Milkdrop (a visual for Winamp)

And... Many thanks for the great compliment!!

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:48 am

Harlem Nights wrote:Some of you may remember me from the LinnDrum and TR-808 films I posted earlier, thx for all kind responses

Now the Oberheim DMX, the third major drummachine of the 80s.... This time I started with some of my fav classic synth disco, and tried to recreate more synth parts using ONLY my JUno 106, to retain that 80s sound. This was interesting to do, learned me new depths of the good old 106 as the originals were all made with different synths of course

Drums again from Electribe ESX, this time filled with DMX samples, only using internal fx. No original tracks sampled, all recreated by ear again. This time tracks like New Order / Blue Monday - Fun fun / Happy Station - Chaka Khan / I feel for you.... Now in retrospect Trans-X / Living on Video may have been a different story, almost sure a TR-808 after all, instead of a modded DMX I read about. This version was done with DMX samples so it's in this video

Hope you enjoy!
Man, that was completely astonishing! The Blue Monday kick was identical!

Harlem Nights

Post by Harlem Nights » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Thx again :-)

on the ESX you can pitch up samples and then bend them way down - so you get a faster attack combined with a deeper body than the original sample, if you balance this the overall pitch stays the same to the ear... I used a bit of this 'zap' feature on many kicks here :D

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:37 pm

Excellent... again. :) A great variation of Blue Monday in there.

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:34 pm

woah.