John Bowen SOLARIS - demo number three

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
redmartian
Gear: PMS Syntar
Band: Red Martian

John Bowen SOLARIS - demo number three

Post by redmartian » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Earlier this year I had the chance to work about 5 or so days with the second Prototype SOLARIS designed by John Bowen. I came up with a few demos featuring only sounds produced by the Solaris. One of my favorites was this:

For the percussion sounds I used an Akai MPC-1000 to sample the Solaris. I tried to keep editing/effects to a minimum. The recording passes were done one by one and were either manually played or sequenced.

There are a few more Solaris demos on youtube including one which features a recreation of the 1978 Prophet-5 Flexi-Disc demo which John wrote and says I 'almost got it right'.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Re: John Bowen SOLARIS - demo number three

Post by Villi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Is that a keyboard-less Prophet T8 in the back? :S

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:14 pm

That looks and sounds wonderful.Great demo,thanks! :D
Just checking out the John Bowen webpage...
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,ION IED04,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

http://logan5.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/logan5-1

redmartian
Gear: PMS Syntar
Band: Red Martian

Post by redmartian » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:52 pm

Yes, its *that* keyboardless T-8. Don't worry, it never had a keyboard. It was actually an SCI test unit (and no serial number issued) which my friend Jeff Needham picked up around 1989 from the electronics shop that got some of the SCI parts during the famous firesidewalksale. He sawed off the front end and side pieces and since about 1992 he promised he would sell it to me when he felt like selling it. The keyboard is a lot of what makes the T-8 a nice synth, but despite the harsh critics I do like its sound. I owned one previously until 1993 when I foolishly let it go for $1200 (and I thought that was a healthy profit) .. but, there is probably a thread for mourning old synths you let go for cheap compared to today's prices.

OH, this is about the SOLARIS .. sorry! The SOLARIS definitely is a special synthesizer and I cannot wait to have mine here. People talk about how synth A rev 2 can make synth A obsolete and then the flame wars ensue, but I really feel that for the Prophet VS this is the case. The SOLARIS is essentially a Prophet VS (in a tiny corner of its functionality) and then a whole lot more. I'll be honest, I was pessimistic thinking it would be one of those 'be all / end all' synths and its foolish to say that it is, but it is a very special synth and I hope all of the people that order theirs end up feeling the same way after they've had it in their studio for a while.

The SOLARIS is going to be my main midi controller and the T-8 will slave to it. I will also have a permanent AUX S/R from my mixer because I love the sound of that comb filter and I want to be able to run anything through it.

The demo with the 1978 Prophet-5 recreated demo was unfinished, as John was literally standing over my shoulder waiting to take the SOLARIS back as I was finishing it .. well, he was actually on his way over in his car, but it is unfinished and it sounds that way. And that was the last time I saw a SOLARIS ;-)