Switched On Rutter: Blow, blow thou winter wind

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
Purity_Control

Switched On Rutter: Blow, blow thou winter wind

Post by Purity_Control » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:36 pm

A little winter music, the slideshow is made up of photos i took when it snowed last year.

Constructive critisism appreciated, there's one or two bits i'm not over sure about.

or higer quality audio version here
Last edited by Purity_Control on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Switched On Rutter: Blow, blow thou winter wind

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:58 pm

Interesting. First impressions are that it sounds a bit messy. Those choral sounds are somehow all over the place. I think if you tighten them up it would work better. I'd make a few of those attacks a bit softer too.

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:03 am

The choral parts aren't out of time, it's an odd composition that's tricky to arrange, perhaps Rutter meant it to have a blizzard like quality, but listening to orchestral versions of it, everything does seem to lump together a bit.

Perhaps i do need to do something with them, but not sure a longer attack is it, that might risk the 1/16th notes vanishing.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:52 am

I didn't mean to suggest they were badly timed, just that the sounds somehow clash, a textural thing i think. I've never heard the piece before, so I listened to a real choral version after yours - sounds like a tricky piece to do, with it being largely vocal. As for attacks, I was particularly referring to later, 'snappier' sounds - but then I was listening on craptop speakers which don't have a very good response.

After another listen, I'd say the balance between parts may need attention, and the sounds that come in at about 1:10 are fighting against each other - perhaps tame them a bit, use simpler tones - I think the purity of the opening works better.

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Gotcha, it certainly is a devilish piece to arrange. A lot of eqing, panning and ducking and it still gets busy. I'm loathe to put all the vocal parts on the same simple sound but perhaps i need to think about that as an option, there's 4-6 of them going on sometimes plus the two 'piano' parts.

Will come back to this when i get time next week. Clearly there's still work to do.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:09 pm

"switched on" type stuff is hard to do. I started Beethoven's 7th but gave up after doing about half the strings. All that articulation to take care of. Maybe later.

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:10 pm

It sure is a lot harder than you'd think, though on the upside, there's nothing like having awesome source material.

Updated versions on the same links in the original post. The first choral part i've left alone as i rather like it, the 2nd i've swapped out a memotron patch that sounded like the choir was drunk(!) that seemed to be causing a lot of the trouble in that bit, added an extra patch change in towards the end, and tweaked a few little bits.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:50 am

Purity_Control wrote:It sure is a lot harder than you'd think
I wouldn't have picked that, that's for sure! Vocal textures to synth? Complicated.

J.S. Bach works far better. You could also try adding aftertouch to your patches, to give them more expression.

Orchestration is a demanding task at the best of times, but whilst changing the notes on parts is out of the question for an authentic recreation, I've found it rarely as simple as 'horn part to synth horn patch'. Quite often percussive parts can be grating, yet needed for quicker passages. The trick is consistency; don't change patches on parts too often, and repeat their use in certain common sections or phrases.

Cheers

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:02 pm

afaik neither the Roland Jupiter 6 or Manikin Memotron have aftertouch, probably available on the Doepfer though through a routing in the midi-cv :D

switched on bach would be too easy. and done to death. and i've done it before. probably will do it again sometime too, but not this time :D

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Listened again, and those sounds that come in at a minute-odd still sound too wavery and discordant to me. I just don't think they fit together at all. Sorry. If that was mine, I'd just redo those patches.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:28 pm

Purity_Control wrote:switched on bach would be too easy. and done to death. and i've done it before. probably will do it again sometime too, but not this time :D
Vocode it then, or do something similar; voice parts don't translate easily to instruments, precisely because of the extra layers of texture you lose.

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:16 am

Those sounds that come in at a minute odd still sound like they did before because that's the bit i liked enough to leave alone! The composition is a little discordant in places, that's part of the theme to it and part of it's appeal.