Underworld

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Underworld

Post by impaler42 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:44 am

Anyone here big fans of the band Underworld? After I discovered their live album Everything, Everything (and the live DVD), Ive been hooked. They got such a smooth and eclectic sound. My favorite song would deffinetly have to be Dark Train from the Trainspotting soundtrack.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Underworld

Post by mome rath » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:03 am

impaler42 wrote:Anyone here big fans of the band Underworld? After I discovered their live album Everything, Everything (and the live DVD), Ive been hooked. They got such a smooth and eclectic sound. My favorite song would deffinetly have to be Dark Train from the Trainspotting soundtrack.
hells yeah

one of my biggest influences
god elton can't you suck

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld

Post by impaler42 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:03 am

I would love to see them live sometime. But its too bad that Darren Emerson left the band. He had a huge influence on their sound becoming more electronic and dance oriented.
electronic music forever

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 am

Another fan here.

Darren Emerson had nothing to do with their sound changing, Rick was the one who decided to change direction. I believe Karl wrote an essay that was posted to underworldlive.com that basically suggested that Richard Smith is Underworld.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by impaler42 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:09 pm

I think youre right Wiglaf. I saw a video of one of their recent performances on youtube, and it blew me away. Rick Smith is a genius. So is Karl Hyde..... in his weird offbeat sort of way.
electronic music forever

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:09 pm

for those ones who are new to Underworld....

The second thoughest of the infants, is one of the best electronica albums of all times, According to hit parader magazine!

The song juanita-kindness-to dream of love, is one of the masterpieces of contemporaneous music.

It's structure, is simple..... amazing. Each time I study the oddity of this song, it amazes me more and more, the perfect combination of chaos and order on it, still amazing the most trained ears.

underworld is one of the best electronic bands ever.

Is a shame that their b-sides, and remixes (I have a bunch of them) are so awful. The first ones are ok, but there are some version of the beatiful "Pearl Girl" that are awful.

Underworld, when the "rave music" was magical
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by impaler42 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:57 am

Juanita/Kitless on Everything Everything is such an amazing live performance. The song sounds completely different live, has such an energy to it. Not to mention the lyrics are magnificent.
electronic music forever

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:48 am

I prefer this version of Juanita. It's epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjbacBEJC_Q
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Saw them live a few times around '93 (at the Club Dog Megadog events if anyone here knows what those were). Don't listen to them much these days but still some of the best gigs I can (just about) remember. They must have had tons of stuff sampled up as loops cos they would bring in bits and pieces of all of their songs and build up and break things down for ages, totally seamlessly and obviously quite improvised. Impressive and effective stuff, especially as this was way pre-Ableton.

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by impaler42 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Yeah they were quite visionary. They had a huge mixer on stage that they would rock out with, and to great effect. The live shows had a really special and powerful energy. If they ever do come back to tour the states, Ill be making it to see them for sure.

They have a really cool blog section on underworldlive.com, their official website, where they post unreleased music quite often. Very good stuff and its great to hear Rick Smith talk about gear and his feelings on music and everything Underworld related.
electronic music forever

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:45 pm

One of the things that I find interesting about Underworld is: For those who don't know their history, they started out as an Eighties new-wave band. Although what they do now is clearly not that, I still hear a lot of Eighties sensibility in their music. It's almost like they took what was good about New Wave, threw away the bad, and transplanted the good bits onto trance. They're unique that way.

P.S.: Fatboy Slim started out as a bass player for the Eighties band The Housemartins.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by impaler42 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:47 am

Interesting point cornutt. I can deffinetly see the eigthies influence too. I always thought that the song Dirty Epic reminded me of Depeche Mode in a way, particularly how Karl Hyde sings. They had been around a long time before they developed their signature sound.
electronic music forever