EMU Emulator II tracks

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

EMU Emulator II tracks

Post by JMP » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 pm

Put a couple of EMU Emulator II tracks up on you tube recently, a short ambient piece and something a bit more up-beat in an 80's style, hope some enjoy. ;)

seamonkey

Re: EMU Emulator II tracks

Post by seamonkey » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:13 pm

John these are absolutely wonderful. Your choice of sounds and the way you play them are A++++.
It's so nice to hear some demos of this awesome sampler, there are so few of any quality out there, you seem to be the only one providing anything of substance.
Thanks for taking the time to post and share these.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:08 pm

The sounds on the ambient track are incredible.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Keep doing this John and you'll push the damn prices up...

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Think i want an Emulator II now (of course no space for it though), superb work on that ambient track John.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

multipackvitamin

:):)

Post by multipackvitamin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:34 pm

:):)
Last edited by multipackvitamin on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks for the replies and comments lads.

The first sound on the ambient one has been used by several bands including Tangerine Dream (Canyon Dreams) and Ultravox (also 'Dreams' I think it's called) and is one of the best in the libraries, although I've never found which it actually belongs to (having got it on an unlabelled 5.25" disk originally). The other sounds are library ones too except for the lead which is sampled from a Virus A and a load of reverb applied to it.

Rick, Nathan & Syn, you all need an EII ! :)

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:38 am

JMP wrote:Thanks for the replies and comments lads.

The first sound on the ambient one has been used by several bands including Tangerine Dream (Canyon Dreams) and Ultravox (also 'Dreams' I think it's called) and is one of the best in the libraries, although I've never found which it actually belongs to (having got it on an unlabelled 5.25" disk originally). The other sounds are library ones too except for the lead which is sampled from a Virus A and a load of reverb applied to it.

Rick, Nathan & Syn, you all need an EII ! :)
Way to go JMP!!... good to hear that someone is promoting the old beast. After restoring my EII last year I have to admit it's sat here in the studio in almost mint condition simply gathering dust. In truth, I love it's sound and there is no doubting there are libraries of epic sounds for the beasty, but the problem is I'm just not getting on with it. I find assigning samples and it's very narrow transposition range a real pain. I much prefer my EIII and EMAX II samplers in this respect.

My Beasty (Originally belonging to the founder of OMI) following an LCD Replacement:

I also don't have an old Mac and Sound Designer which you clearly must have.... and I'm very jeleous of that! ;)
Last edited by HideawayStudio on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:30 am

Excellent work, JMP! :clap:
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:17 pm

JMP wrote:Put a couple of EMU Emulator II tracks up on you tube recently, a short ambient piece and something a bit more up-beat in an 80's style, hope some enjoy. ;)

JMP.... I've just listened to these two recordings a lot louder than I could late last night and I have to say, even as an EII owner, I'd forgotten just how lovely these samplers sound. The first demo is just heaven on a stick - I'm struggling to remember the name of that famous huge Ethereal pad. The second demo is so gloriously punchy and clearly shows your a huge fan of Depeche mode and JMJ bass lines ;) The bottom end on the EII is very nice and analog sounding thanks to it's filters - the mad companding circuitry gives it a very special sheen that few samplers ever managed to top. It just goes to prove again that you really don't need huge bit rates and widths to make decent sampled sounds - especially when fed into on board analog filters!

Just Superb... I like your musical style in both demos. So is this overdubbed?? Surely the whole thing isn't played live via midi into FX?? :shock:

I have to say I've suddenly lost the desire to part with my beast :)

....and for all those non believing, hardware sampler haters out there, try making an 8 bit recording sound this good on your PCs!!! :lol:

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Thanks Braincandy/H.Studio.
HideawayStudio wrote:but the problem is I'm just not getting on with it. I find assigning samples and it's very narrow transposition range a real pain. I much prefer my EIII and EMAX II samplers in this respect.
Ah, having those already is bound to highlight its shortcomings so can understand your frustration. If you do keep hold of it, keep an eye out for a Mac Classic, Classic Colour (even better) or an SE, they often come up on Ebay for anything up to around £50. OS 7.1 is a safe bet. With your skills Dan, you could make the connection cable yourself, there's info on this in the EII Users Yahoo Group site. I presume you know the revision of your EII already.

That first sound on the ambient track is labelled 'Mister E' (oddly enough) on the Floppy disk. Not sure if this is the correct name for it.

Like you say, despite losing quality as such when sampling something into the EII, it's that 8 bit sound itself that I prefer over my EMU ESI sampler any day. There's so many that have that Depeche Mode sound all over them. :)

Both tracks are recorded into Cubase using the reverb from a Behringer mixer (!) and some ping pong delay from a TC Electronic M300.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:04 pm

theese are indeed brilliant, great work on both :)

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:26 pm

great tracks! makes me want to hold on to my Emulator!

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 am

Nice one JMP in Lancashire , beautiful tracks, lovely sounds. I always wanted an E2 , but Ill settle for an Emax.
I was speaking to someone the other day who has Mick Mc Neil's old E2 ( ex Simple Minds, when they were at their best). He also has an E3. Lucky Lucky you & him

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Cheers all.
iphoenix wrote: I was speaking to someone the other day who has Mick Mc Neil's old E2 ( ex Simple Minds, when they were at their best).
Ah, I remember when that was for sale a while back. An EII+ HD in great condition, one that actually had a hard drive that worked !