Gimme some criticism on these tracklets!

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
Boba JFET

Gimme some criticism on these tracklets!

Post by Boba JFET » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:19 pm

I've had a hard time completing pieces lately so I put together a compilation of a lot (16 or so) of short unfinished pieces I did and I'd like to hear from you guys on whether any of them are worth completing, or what direction I should go, or just generally what you liked/didn't like about any of 'em.

Oh, if anybody really happens to like what I do, does similar stuff, and thinks they might want to collab on something, that would be great! I've never worked with anybody else musically but I think that would really give me a push to complete stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/uvacom/claudecomp

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Re: Gimme some criticism on these tracklets!

Post by prinsen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:06 am

I wonder why you've chosen to put the least interesting bit first.

Apart from that I think it's obvious that you have a knack for putting together sounds, melody and rhythm. If I were you I wouldn't worry about the "tracklets" being unfinished. Just put them in your book of artists sketches for future reference and move on. Don't worry about finishing stuff if you're not inspired, that's a freedom you have, I assume, since music is not what brings food to your table at this time.

In my experience stylistic excercises rather than interesting music is what comes from striving for perfection during the creative process, so I attempt to avoid overthinking things from the beginning to the end. Maybe that's part of what's keeping you from completing pieces?

You should definitely try to find partners for collaborations, if nothing else collaborations increase your ability distinguish your great or important ideas from the ones that are less so.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:11 am

I thought they were really good. I disagree with the above poster though. You have developed your ability to compose beats. Now you have to develop your ability to evolve those beats over time to make a finished song. Writing more tracklets will not finish any music. I'm actually in the exact same situation, I've just finished about 8 or so "tracklets". What I do now is take them with me to my day job, listen to them periodically through the day, and for each one try to think of how to evolve the track. For example:

- a complimenting part that could evolve the track
- combining two or more ideas into a single track (IE your A and B section, add some glue parts, and presto.. two beats is one full song)

etc.

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 am

th0mas wrote:I disagree with the above poster though. You have developed your ability to compose beats. Now you have to develop your ability to evolve those beats over time to make a finished song. Writing more tracklets will not finish any music.
Well, I'm not sure we disagree, but I rarely see good results coming from forcing a complete song out of a pre-finished part. And since looking for collabs was mentioned I figured that that would be good direction to take.

xenomorph313
Gear: | ESQ-1 | TG-33 | CS1x | micron | TR-606 | MC-50 | ES-1 | RY-8 | SU-10 | SYB-3 |

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Post by xenomorph313 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:17 am

I commented on the soundcloud page. I really liked that minimal-techno-glitch-house thingy you had going. Reminds me a little bit of richie hawtin's M-Nus stuff.

I'd also be interested in what gear you use. If we use similar gear, then maybe I have some similar patterns we could collaborate on.

Sounds good!
For Trade: |Ensoniq ESQ-1|Yamaha CS1-x|Alesis Micron|

Boba JFET

Post by Boba JFET » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:15 am

th0mas wrote:I thought they were really good. I disagree with the above poster though. You have developed your ability to compose beats. Now you have to develop your ability to evolve those beats over time to make a finished song. Writing more tracklets will not finish any music. I'm actually in the exact same situation, I've just finished about 8 or so "tracklets". What I do now is take them with me to my day job, listen to them periodically through the day, and for each one try to think of how to evolve the track. For example:

- a complimenting part that could evolve the track
- combining two or more ideas into a single track (IE your A and B section, add some glue parts, and presto.. two beats is one full song)

etc.
You can check out some compositions I have completed elsewhere on my soundcloud. It's not exactly that I don't know how to make a complete piece, it's that I paint myself into a corner creatively when I work, and I lack discipline when it comes to completing projects in general. ;)
xenomorph313 wrote:I commented on the soundcloud page. I really liked that minimal-techno-glitch-house thingy you had going. Reminds me a little bit of richie hawtin's M-Nus stuff.

I'd also be interested in what gear you use. If we use similar gear, then maybe I have some similar patterns we could collaborate on.

Sounds good!
Right now I'm fairly gearless. I just use a few plugins, mostly vemberaudio surge/shortcircuit and sonic charge microtonic inside live. I'm really into the sound design process.