my solo thingy is WORNG

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

my solo thingy is WORNG

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:11 am

So I had a thread about this solo project of mine but it went AWOL in the great server unplugging of '10. So now in the interests of shameless self-promotion I've resurrected it. Beholdeth!

So the project is called WORNG. Pronounced wrong. Here be the myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/worng

Here be the Soundcloud:

http://www.soundcloud.com/worng

Here be a picture of a pile of CDs:

Unfortunately I don't have any of the CDs left, sold a few off to members, some went to labels, radio stations, friends etc. A few of the tracks are there for free download from Soundcloud IIRC, also the whole EP is on my bandcamp, which just so happens to be here:

http://worng.bandcamp.com

All the tracks except one are available to stream there too, free and as often as you like.

I'm recording some new stuff at the moment and will have another one out before the end of the year for people who like having a physical product to hang on to. In the meantime have a listen, there's a couple of new tracks up on the Soundcloud, let me know if you like it etc.

Oh, and there were a couple of people who compared it to some bands who I don't remember the names of. If you happen to be one of those people could you tell me again? I hate it when you lose data.

El Frenze del Stabbo.
Last edited by Stab Frenzy on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

dubold
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: sh-32, ms2000r, er-1mkii, laptop, various delays, wires, tubes

Re: My new(ish) project: lots of modular + CS-15

Post by dubold » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:46 pm

I was already listening to "bandage for fingertips" this morning; in fact, i came here to look and see if you'd posted any new tracks and found this thread. good stuff!

i think some comparisons to Boards of Canada were made.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:32 am

New track up:

http://soundcloud.com/worng/icebergs-inc

Bit more chilled out, not quite so heavy.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:54 am

Sounds killer through shitty laptop speakers, I can't wait to get home with some headphones and space out. What did you use for drums?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:26 am

Sweet! It's designed for spacing out to, I need to get my s**t to more stoners. :D

The drums be DR-55 samples sequenced in Live.

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Got my copy of the CD a while ago, and I've been listening to it pretty steadily. These tracks really groove for me. I love how it's sparse & repetitive but yet also sounds lush and evolving because of the great synth textures that keep modulating and changing throughout. The reverb you've used is clear and open but also rich and lush. And despite the beatbox style grooves, there's some subtle push-pull of the beat on a number of the tracks. Nice to hear something with a BPM lower than 100 for a change as well.

The additional tracks you've put on soundcloud also sound great - Icebergs Inc. is my favourite because of the beautiful resonant square wave, the subtle variations in envelope shape and resonance that are going on throughout, and the laid back blip-bloop nature of it that for me, subtly references old school Subotnick type electronic music and yet makes it into a reflective and laconic groove.

I think before the Great Crash of '010, I'd described this stuff as something like sublime midnight funk from the edge of known space... This music works for me, it's what my ears have been craving. Just f**k lovely. I'm waiting for your next CD.
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:11 am

Thank you sir! Glad you're enjoying it, and also glad the CD arrived safely.

Funny you should mention the reverb, it's just the one that comes with Live. :D With the right settings and set to high quality it does sound really good though.

I'm working on new stuff at the moment, as well as putting together a live show. Glad to hear some love for the new tracks, every single one (except bandage for fingertips) I've done since the EP I've disliked immediately after finishing and then grown to like it after not listening to it for a couple of weeks. I need separation from them or something.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:17 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Thank you sir! Glad you're enjoying it, and also glad the CD arrived safely.

Funny you should mention the reverb, it's just the one that comes with Live. :D With the right settings and set to high quality it does sound really good though.

I'm working on new stuff at the moment, as well as putting together a live show. Glad to hear some love for the new tracks, every single one (except bandage for fingertips) I've done since the EP I've disliked immediately after finishing and then grown to like it after not listening to it for a couple of weeks. I need separation from them or something.
oh good - you can come tour in america! it's only, what, an 18+ hour flight? 8-) ~ i really like the cover art btw. you should use the worng tape as a logo or something on your future releases, like the tiesto bird, the ninja-tune ninja, or a sweet death metal logo. :idea:
you could have: "the worng tape."
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:09 am

I may come to the US actually, my oldest friend lives in NYC and he and his wife are just about to have a baby so I might come see them. It's about 24 hours considering stopovers, but isn't that expensive at the moment. Plus our dollar is a lot stronger lately which helps things.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 am

icebergs one is excellent.. the s+h(?) lead/arp part is well nice..

has the track been mastered?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:04 am

Cheers! Not mastered at all, just roughly mixed in Live and put through a bit of a gentle limiter. I didn't squash the h**l out of it so I didn't have to spend ages tweaking the compression to get it sounding loud without artifacts.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:40 pm

sorry.. are you referring to compression as in compressing the song as a file.. or compression as in dynamics processing of parts of the song?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Dynamics.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:08 am

man i forgot about the remix session i was gonna try. lost that in a crash my damn time machine didn't back up.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:38 am

You want it again? I can re-up the files?

Also for everyone else now that the CDEPs are all gone it's available for free download from http://worng.soundcloud.com

Enjoy! Hopefully the next EP will be out by the end of the year.