my solo thingy is WORNG

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: My new(ish) project: lots of modular + CS-15

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:12 am

Was working on my live set the other night and this remixing thingy kind of appeared out of nowhere, so I recorded it. It's pretty rough, but you'll get the picture. Only had headphones on so the levels are a bit out of whack, I'm planning on polishing it up a bit.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Was working on my live set the other night and this remixing thingy kind of appeared out of nowhere, so I recorded it. It's pretty rough, but you'll get the picture. Only had headphones on so the levels are a bit out of whack, I'm planning on polishing it up a bit.

it sounds very awesome. i would jam that s**t out for sure. I love it.

it did heavily remind me of this cover version...

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Re: WORNG (warning, modular chillwave lol)

Post by cartesia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Oh, and there were a couple of people who compared it to some bands who I don't remember the names of. If you happen to be one of those people could you tell me again? I hate it when you lose data.
I was the one who compared it to vaguely-chillwave, but more synthetic, dark and without vocals.. and since that's now in your title.. is it me you're after?
On that note, that new remix thing is great! it's more like chillwave stuff too, in a nicer subdued kinda way.

Here's a couple of the songs I probably would have recommended:

BTW I'm not a chillwave fanboi or anything.. besides a few bits most of it is c**p unfortunately.. coulda been a cool name for a style.

I do like this song when I'm lying on the couch and the sun is shining on my face though:

artist: Washed Out

Also I think I mentioned some other songs/styles, but I cannot remember. sorry :lol:

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:38 pm

I listened to all the tracks on your soundcloud finally and I gotta say I really like them. They don't remind me personally of chillwave at all though, chillwave is pop cassette tape '80s inspired stuff in my head. Your stuff sounds a bit like combining john carpenter with bill leeb/rhys fulber. in any regard - its very good stuff!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:05 am

rharris07 wrote:it sounds very awesome. i would jam that s**t out for sure. I love it.

it did heavily remind me of this cover version...
Yeah I'm gonna edit it a bit, clean it up and put up a proper version of it. Think I'll try to take out the vocals, then pretend it's a coldplay cover. :D

I quite like the GC version, interestingly enough my other band supported them about a month before that video was shot.
cartesia wrote:I was the one who compared it to vaguely-chillwave, but more synthetic, dark and without vocals.. and since that's now in your title.. is it me you're after?
On that note, that new remix thing is great! it's more like chillwave stuff too, in a nicer subdued kinda way.

Here's a couple of the songs I probably would have recommended:

BTW I'm not a chillwave fanboi or anything.. besides a few bits most of it is c**p unfortunately.. coulda been a cool name for a style.
Thanks, Washed Out is playing here in a little bit at a rooftop bar, might have to go along with a couple of my friends who are. The chillwave thing in the title is kind of a joke, I think genres are a bit of a joke. A track from an EP I produced got described as 'possibly Australia's first legit chillwave banger' on Rose Quartz, which we thought was hilarious. :lol:
rharris07 wrote:I listened to all the tracks on your soundcloud finally and I gotta say I really like them. They don't remind me personally of chillwave at all though, chillwave is pop cassette tape '80s inspired stuff in my head. Your stuff sounds a bit like combining john carpenter with bill leeb/rhys fulber. in any regard - its very good stuff!
Cheers! Funny you mention John Carpenter, I got an email today from someone who heard it on the radio and compared it to his stuff, they want me to do a soundtrack to Nosferatu to play live with the movie for the horror movie society thing they do. Should be fun except having to make up 80 minutes of music...

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:29 am

The EP is getting close to being done, got a bit sidetracked by the Nosferatu score and recording new tracks for my other band. Here's a track from the first EP to tide things over until I get the new ones up:

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The chillwave thing in the title is kind of a joke, I think genres are a bit of a joke. A track from an EP I produced got described as 'possibly Australia's first legit chillwave banger' on Rose Quartz, which we thought was hilarious. :lol:
Hahaha he's so legit he refuses to call it chillwave..

milk it! take a bunch of money off the stupid norms then play some serious modular business at a show and tell everyone chillwave is dead already and its some new genre now that they all wanna listen to and buy, but you're the only one who is legit enough to make it.. :roll:

But seriously.. if you could somehow use that to steer people away from c**p, and towards interesting music.. that would be genius.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 pm

I don't think 'norms' know or care about chillwave, it's the hipper than thou mogans (can they still be called that now that they've moved on from modular?) that do. And I have no intention of getting caught up in some flash in the pan genre which is popular for a couple of months and then 'so last year'.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:45 am

wtf is a modular bogan...
some guy with fluro thongs, a mullet and an MS-20?

I have never heard that term before... must be an eastern states thing

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:02 am

All the people that like the presets, cut copy, midnight juggernauts, wolfmother etc. Bogans that are into dance music, but dress like hipsters rather than meatheads with their shirts off. I don't know if it's a widespread term.

changeofeyes
Gear: Moog Voyager, Emulator II, Drumulator, Elektron Analog Four, TR-707, Juno-106, MC-808, Microbrute, Yamaha TQ5.

Post by changeofeyes » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm digging this. Good stuff.

I followed you on soundcloud as well.

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:50 pm

I have to admit Stab. You have some really good tracks. Keep up the great work and I'm really looking forward to hearing the new stuff you put up on sound cloud.
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:17 am

Makes a great soundtrack for Minecraft..

Awesome sounding tracks man, ill zen out to these for quite some time.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:02 am

Finished this remix today, pretty minimal with a crapload of vocal processing going on.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:56 pm

You make some really great tracks. Been listening to them quite a lot the last couple of weeks.

Lately my favourites are Null Sutekh and Oriental Table.

Was there a place which listed the gear used?

I shall pass them on to the stoners (If I remember :laugh2: )