Cyclotron - Andromeda + Alchemy

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
b3groover
Band: THEO

Cyclotron - Andromeda + Alchemy

Post by b3groover » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:15 am

Tonight I've been messing around with my Andromeda and Alchemy (controlled by a Yamaha EX7; the 6 encoders beneath the screen come in handy!) and came up with this improvisation. Tracked mostly live into Cubase, with one more track of Alchemy and a few more Andromeda tracks overdubbed.

The pad is a patch I made in Alchemy. The bells are from Alchemy as well. Everything else is Andromeda. No EQ, very limited compression. This is a good example that ties into the thread about when to use mono or stereo; all tracks were recorded in stereo, but the rhythm & bass tracks were summed to mono within Cubase to leave room for the expansive pad and other stereo FX type sounds.

Enjoy!

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Re: Cyclotron - Andromeda + Alchemy

Post by cartesia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:12 am

I like this! those are some really nice crispy high sounds you have, they contrast well with the warm and slippery bassier sound..

Made me imagine a kind of super-industrial cyberpunk city opening to a movie

The highest freqencies of the offbeat hihat sound is getting to me a bit(i think its part of a sample, maybe a separate sound playing the same time?) has a bit too much of a highpitched ring to it.. a tight narrow band eq cut somewhere could remove it.. try to remove the ring without losing the fizz.

(be wary I'm young, you might not hear it at all if you're older than me.. its very high and quite faint)

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks! The hi-hat is from the Andromeda; you're right, I might not be able to hear it! :) I'll take a closer listen later today and see if I can EQ it a bit.

I appreciate the comment!

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Nice track!

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:30 am

Thank you. The Andromeda is a lot of fun to play live. I'll be using it this weekend at a festival, doing all improvised spacey jazz. :)

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:25 pm

More Andromeda and Alchemy. This one reminds me of a cheesy 80's sci-fi movie theme.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:25 pm

Great sounds as usual b3groover!

Did you make that brass patch on the second track (the 80's sci-fi movie theme) on the Andromeda?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:35 pm

That's a quality. The overall idea is great. there are some subtle tiny bells that are really the best part , you should work over it, it just need a little bit of polish to be a great ambient track. The good idea is already settle, it just to adjust some details.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Interesting, balma. I respect your comments. What specifically are you referring to? Adding another part or two or re-working the tinkly bells?

Thanks!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 pm

I love the low filter resolution when the bass enters, sounds huge and deep.

i love how the beat changes at 1"48" . Great. now the second bassline that is abourt 24+ transponse over the bass, you could work over it, and add a little bit of reverb. Could sample it, and treat it by apart, adding reverbs or delays to just some notes. It could lead the song.

Now there are three sounds at 1:58 wich makes the magic. Magic repeats at 2:25, at 2:36 they are sublime. Those sounds are simple lovely, because they are so sutile. It's awesome, how a tiny sound at background, changes all the environment on a track.

the notes used as background on the andromeda, I love that pad and the notes you use.

this is a good track. I know you didn't dedicate 3 months over it, but you should, since it began with a good idea.

The EX7 is not an easy synth to work with, I had one for over three months, and then traded it for the EX5 paying a difference. I have kept it since the year 2002.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:03 am

I've got an EX7 and an EX5r (tricked out with the flash RAM, SCSI card reader, and full regular RAM). Love both of them. But I'm only using the EX7 as a controller on this track.

The pad is from Alchemy and is a patch I created. The chimey / tingly sound is Alchemy as well. Alchemy is an incredible synth. Best $250 I ever spent.

I'll work on the upper arppeggio per your suggestion. I agree the tune does need something; I toyed with extending it after the breakdown but that didn't work. It didn't sound natural.

Thank you! I really dig your music.

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:33 pm

First track...
Sounds fantastic. Sounds like it should be the intro track to your next CD. Beautiful contrast & synergy between the lush airy pad and the very analogue bass riff. The track evolves very well with the additional mid-range riff – not sure if that’s sequenced, the timing sounds nicely hand-made to me. And the high end bells & embellishments are just the right amount of icing.

One thing, one thing only that I would critique, and it goes without saying that I say this just as my own subjective opinion: the short synth blip that runs through on 1 & 3, that seems a too forward to me & because the rest of the track has a fairly consistent rhythm, it’s steady presence to me is a bit intrusive & to me it starts to sound like a click track. Maybe you could change it half-way through so it changes from a steady 1 & 3 beat to something syncopated and unpredictable? Or of course if the steady nature of that beat is what you were going for, then that works too, but maybe consider either putting it a bit further back in the mix, or do some processing on it...

Second track, your 80’s sci-fi theme...
It’s pretty convincing. Are you thinking of getting into soundtrack composition? ‘Cause it seems like you have a talent for programmatic material. I love the saw-tooth theme line that makes it’s occasional appearance. This track also has a really nice blend of contrasting synth textures that contrast and blend together really well – good orchestration! Love the little faint riff right at the end.

Great tracks! Thanks for sharing. Time to get that second solo CD going!
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:41 pm

memory cords wrote:Great sounds as usual b3groover!

Did you make that brass patch on the second track (the 80's sci-fi movie theme) on the Andromeda?
Thank you. The CS80-esque brass is from the Andromeda, but I did not program the patch. I think it's from Brian Kehew's great collection.
3rdConstruction wrote:First track...
One thing, one thing only that I would critique, and it goes without saying that I say this just as my own subjective opinion: the short synth blip that runs through on 1 & 3, that seems a too forward to me & because the rest of the track has a fairly consistent rhythm, it’s steady presence to me is a bit intrusive & to me it starts to sound like a click track. Maybe you could change it half-way through so it changes from a steady 1 & 3 beat to something syncopated and unpredictable? Or of course if the steady nature of that beat is what you were going for, then that works too, but maybe consider either putting it a bit further back in the mix, or do some processing on it...
I'll go back and see what I can do. I appreciate the critique!
Second track, your 80’s sci-fi theme...
It’s pretty convincing. Are you thinking of getting into soundtrack composition? ‘Cause it seems like you have a talent for programmatic material. I love the saw-tooth theme line that makes it’s occasional appearance. This track also has a really nice blend of contrasting synth textures that contrast and blend together really well – good orchestration! Love the little faint riff right at the end.
Honestly at this point I'm just letting the sound of the Andromeda inspire me. It's such a playable synth, like the Voyager. I haven't even dug into programming it that much yet. Last night I was having an absolute ball routing the aux outputs through my Moog phaser and Memory Man and mixing that back in with the main signal.
Great tracks! Thanks for sharing. Time to get that second solo CD going!
I've almost got enough material to do that. The theme running through everything seems to be the use of simple arppeggios layered upon each other to build the songs, which contrasts with the last disc since almost everything on it was played by hand with no quantizing/sequencing (sans the drum parts).

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks for sharing. I liked them both.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:39 am

You cannot sell the Andy now.
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.